Possible to copywrite game concepts before making game?

Started by
32 comments, last by Omid Ghavami 15 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by d000hg
You can name your kid just about anything, or change your name. If I changed my name to "Mickey Mouse" could I be sued? Perhaps I would have to keep out of certain countries but not others?!
Given the lack of a humour indicator such as a smilie I have to assume this is a serious question - the answer to which is no - given that you are a person and not a icon or logo used for trade.

Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Advertisement
You can name your kid just about anything, or change your name. If I changed my name to "Mickey Mouse" could I be sued? Perhaps I would have to keep out of certain countries but not others?!

Nobody would sue you for changing your name to whatever you want, but you'd have to be careful about when to use your name in a commercial context.
A few years ago in my country, a fish salesman named McDonald got in trouble for violating a trademark by establishing "McDonald's Fish Shop" (freely translated), and eventually he had to name his shop something else. Nobody had a problem with his actual name being McDonald, though. :)
You can name your kid just about anything, or change your name.

Not quite anything.
Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
I love how much very bad advice the OP is getting in this thread! I'm not talking about Mona or Ra or F. Rob, either.

Omid and Splin, you guys should simply not reply to legal questions. That would be much better than giving the very bad advice you've given the OP here.

Fair enough.
Best regards, Omid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement