mesh editor

Started by
6 comments, last by PdG 15 years, 8 months ago
I need a suggestion. I'm creating some meshes using blender for my game project. Blender is very powerful for editing, but is weak to exporting the mesh in .x format (and in other formats). Actually i export in wavefront format, then i re-import all using accutrans, and finally export in .x format. But so, i loose the normals information. Is there any good mesh editor outside? I mean an editor not for create mesh, but to map texture, calculate normals, import or export in various format. An editor created for games developers in mind. Freeware is preferred, but also shareware (if it's cheap :) )
Advertisement
I've never had any problems exporting meshes from Blender in .X format. Maybe you have an outdated exporter?
Quote:Original post by Dave
I've never had any problems exporting meshes from Blender in .X format. Maybe you have an outdated exporter?

I'm using the 2.47 rc 1, and using the default .x exporter.

This is the mesh that i want to export.

blender screenshot

You can see that i've only smooted the two cylinders. And the results is good and coerent with the light direction.
I've exported it with blender, using the "use the blender normals" option.

And this is the result inside my game:

my game screenshot

You can see that ALL the mesh was smooted, and the result is terrible.
You can also see that the illumination of cylinders are wrong.

Is there any more good exporter for .x filetype for blender? That include also texture information, for example.
It doesn't look like it's smoothed to me. It looks like it's just phong shaded.

Are you using one mesh or multiple meshes? You're going to have trouble with that crossbar as not only does it look like it's not connected at all, and you're not taking self-shadowing into account in your lighting model.
I can't stand Blender, personally. I've been using XSI|ModTool for my current project, which is free for non-commercial use and has some nice integration with XNA Game Studio. I don't believe it can export to .X, but it can export to the dotXSI format was well as FBX.

You should also check out trueSpace, which was recently purchased by Microsoft and made freely available. It can export to .X format.
Quote:Original post by MasterSlowPoke
It doesn't look like it's smoothed to me. It looks like it's just phong shaded.

Are you using one mesh or multiple meshes? You're going to have trouble with that crossbar as not only does it look like it's not connected at all, and you're not taking self-shadowing into account in your lighting model.

I've tried to join all the objects together.. now the game crashes with the error:

D3DFXERR_PARSEERROR

when i call

D3DXLoadMeshFromX(unicodestr, D3DXMESH_SYSTEMMEM, gd3dDevice, &adjBuffer, &mtrlBuffer, 0, &numMtrls, &meshSys);

it seems that the .x files generated is corrupted or something similar..
The smooth/flat shading doesn't have any effect on your model data, it only specifies how Blender renders faces. If you want to export model with flat shaded parts you need to split edges so that normals are not interpolated between neighbouring faces. To do this use "mark sharp" tool (Ctrl+E) and "Edge split" modifier. Read this.
Quote:Original post by luke p
The smooth/flat shading doesn't have any effect on your model data, it only specifies how Blender renders faces. If you want to export model with flat shaded parts you need to split edges so that normals are not interpolated between neighbouring faces. To do this use "mark sharp" tool (Ctrl+E) and "Edge split" modifier. Read this.

Thank you, i'll try to learn to use it.
I hope to continue with blender because i found it a software masterpiece

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement