The Evil Badguy Cliche

Started by
28 comments, last by Numsgil 15 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by pothb
I'm sure there hasn't been one badguy yet with a sexual background with horses.

bhaha ... oh god!
Advertisement
At Uni we had a lecturer who we called "Evil Boss" he wasn't evil obviously he just taught OOP. He was bald on top with white hair around the side and a small pony tail, was quiet short and often wore a Hawaiian shirt - looked like a boss off time crisis or something.

I think an evil boss like him would fit more into the comedy evil category.

Not really much to do with you question but just reminded me of "evil boss" and made me laugh :D

Quote:Original post by pothb
Its not hard, its only hard if you're planning to make one that everyone will be pleased with. I'm sure there hasn't been one badguy yet with a sexual background with horses. But can you make him a cool bad guy?

Why not? Centaurs have feelings too, y'know!

INT. EVIL LAIR, TORTURE CHAMBER -- NIGHT.

JAMES WAND is strapped to a chair suspended over a vat of bubbling, boiling liquid. MISTRESS BUTTERCUP is standing beside him, sneering evilly. We can just see someone emptying the last bulk container of Crisp'n'Dry cooking oil into the vat. [PRODUCER NOTE: Can we get an MCU on this? The product placement money would be handy!]

WAND
You fiend, Buttercup! Wait 'til M25 hears about this!
They'll run rings around your evil empire!

BUTTERCUP
Hah! I shall destroy your M25 colleagues just as I did for you!

WAND
(struggling to free himself; no chance!)
What do you expect me to do? Talk?

BUTTERCUP
(giggles)
Talk? Why no, Mr. Wand! I expect you to fry!

WAND
You'll never get away with this, Buttercup!

BUTTERCUP nods to a minion. Levers are pulled, buttons pressed and the overly complex machinery starts to lower WAND into the vat. WAND begins to sweat with fear as BUTTERCUP skips from the room, laughing uproariously. WAND screams just as we...

CUT TO:

INT. EVIL LAIR, BUTTERCUP'S BEDROOM -- CONTINUOUS.

We see a very large bed. On it lies a French centaur, BLACQUE BEAUTÉ. He's waiting...
BUTTERCUP enters. Her eyes light up.

BUTTERCUP
Blacque! You came! What a pleasant surprise!

BLACQUE
Ah, mon cherie! Busy day at ze office, oui?

BUTTERCUP
(she climbs into bed alongside BLACQUE and begins to run her fingers over him)
Oh my dear, dear Blacque! You don't know the half of it!

BLACQUE
'Ere! Let me take away vôtre worries!

Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
Bwahaha.

Funny, looking at the first post about a sexual background with horses, my initial reaction was, "Hmm, of the bestialist characters I've seen done, they've actually always been sympathetic, never villains." It's kind of overkill to give a villain a trait or hobby that's widely made fun of and/or considered disgusting.

BTW if we're going to list favorite villains, mine is Light Yagami from Death Note.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I think the Joker as portrayed in Dark Knight is the best villain I've seen in quite some time.
Quote:Original post by JasRonq
I think the Joker as portrayed in Dark Knight is the best villain I've seen in quite some time.

dammit, you beat me to it!

Yeah, like Alfred says: Some people just want to see the world burn.

[SPOILERS ON DARK KNIGHT,... kinda!]
The Joker (in Dark Knight) is an incredible bad guy which has no motive, no explanation and no background. All he wants is chaos for the sake of chaos. That makes him the ultimate villain, there is no motive, no hidden purity, not even evil, just chaos let loose.

in the movie he clearly states that he will never kill BatMan because he needs batman to oppose him, to challenge him. And of course, he laughts his arse off because BatMan wont kill him due to his "nobility". Now... that is a villain!
Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.Unknown
well... if we are going to dissect Joker, you do him a gross generalization. The Joker is motivated to test humanity as a whole in such a way as to prove they are as screwed up as him. He wants to show them to be selfish and animalistic as he believes this the only sane way to live. The scene with the ferries illustrates this perfectly. He also wants to burn the world, but by making it burn itself. He takes his pleasure from making the world burn itself.
This might help. Note the antivillain listed under types of villains.
Personally I think the TV Tropes wiki has more interesting things to say about villains.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I read a while ago that in times of (real life) peace, people want complex villains with complex motives and complex heroes with complex motives. In times of war or economic downturn, they want cartoony 2D villains who are simply bad guys, and simple heroes which are really Super Jesus with a machine gun fighting against the bad guys.

Don't know if it's true, but it's an interesting way to look at TV and movie villains from different times. The ultimate villains with no motive beyond just being cliche are from the 30s and 40s. Tie Penelope to the rail road track and twiddle your mustache evil. Or if you ever see the propaganda films for WW2 from America with Bugs Bunny, et al...

Of course age comes in to it, too. Children identify more with black and white portrayals of the world. Teenagers want angsty complex drama. Adults' tastes sort of swing between those two extremes.
[size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement