Help Please

Started by
25 comments, last by Cambo_frog 15 years, 8 months ago

Alternativly include the wavs as resources in your exe.

Is that the easiest way? if so how do i do that?

Advertisement
Firstly thank you all for the responses. I think im getting there.

Why has someone rated me bad???

Iv come on to ask a question, whats the point in this forum then?
I highly recommend NOT putting the wavs inside the EXE. That's not really a beginner's approach and I could imagine things going horribly wrong.

Go with a .zip or .7z file.
Ok so i have downloaded 7zip thank you for the advice.

And i clicked to add to archive then i get that box up asking me more questions. Now what do i do?
Quote:Original post by Twinsen LBA

Alternativly include the wavs as resources in your exe.

Is that the easiest way? if so how do i do that?

Not sure how to do it using the Borland compiler/IDE.

I used it in many years past, and I can't remember if it uses standard resource files like visual studio. You may be better asking on a Borland newsgroup unless any other members here know otherwise.
For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.
Put your EXE and *every file that it loads* inside the archive. The archive is the .7z file.

Are your WAV files supposed to be in the same location as your EXE, or are they in a subfolder?

For example:
EXE is in C:\Game\Game.exe
WAVs are in C:\Game\Sounds\Sound1.wav

If your WAV files are in a subfolder, you need to put the subfolder inside the archive. Basically, when the other people extract the files out of the archive, they need to go into the same EXACT sub-folder layout that you have working on your computer.

BTW... if your game uses DirectX, you will probably need to add a link telling the other people to install the correct DirectX libraries. If you use any DLLs (such as Visual C++'s DLLs), you need those as well. In short: You need to find out everything that you're using and understand how to get all of the required files installed correctly on the other person's computer.
Yes I agree that using a zip file is easier than including the media files as resources in the exe, but both have their pros and cons.

The downloader will have to know what to do with a zip file and have a program capable of unzipping that file.

From the Ops point of view (re: including the media files as resources in the exe), he needs to know how to include those files as resources and change his code
to load that media from resources rather than external files.

Seeing that he is using the Borland compiler there is a good chance that he is using the VCL library which probably wraps resource loading rather than using the windows api directly, which is why I suggested asking on a Borland specific newsgroup.

One option is easier for the OP, the other is easier for the end user.

Another option is to use an installer, but that adds more complexity again.
For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement