TS or Blender

Started by
20 comments, last by Kwizatz 15 years, 6 months ago
ok this question is straight forward,im starting to learn a software modeler and this are my choices,because both are free...the question is which is better to a beginner like me,truespace or blender,to not make this question be so loose here are what i want to know: 1) which is better as a modeler,ts or blender? 2) i know there is something wrong about blender's ui(so they say here) but is it really a big deal,is ts' ui better than blender? 3) which ui is closer to the ui of 3ds max(my future software goal for modeling)? 4) in terms of speed in creating models,assuming your familiar to both modeler(ts and blender),which is better? 5) as exporting file types which has more file type that can be exported(ie, make your model a 3ds file)? 6) which is better if i want to make an animation? 7) which has more tutorials? 8) which of these two has a shorter learning curve? 9) overall which is better? thanks for the replies!!!
Advertisement
Personally, I perceive Blender as the best modeller available (including free and commercial ones), and Truespace as painful, not to say entirely useless. However tastes differ, so other people might of course say the exact opposite.

What's a definitive fact, however, is that Blender has a very steep learning curve and can easily scare you off before you even start, if you have not read the documentation. Make sure you read it, and make sure you actually try to reproduce the steps in all the tutorials. Else, you will be very unhappy.
Blender takes a few weeks to get used to. After spending that time to learn why the many unintuitive, annoying things are the way they are, you eventually discover that it's really brilliant the way it is.
One more vote for Blender, it's features list continues to grow and the workflow is actually very quick and smooth once you adjust to the hotkeys.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

trueSpace is a piece of shit.

Every time I try to use it I waste hours trying to do things that can be done in 3 seconds and a few clicks in all my other apps. And asking on the forums doesn't help much. I have basic questions that haven't been answered since july. If you do get answers, they are smart ass answers from fanboys, or devs who try to give you a better reply than "TS can't do that", but never really answer your questions.

Sometimes you get several very different answers to the same question. That beta team and the devs really know that program like the back of their hands. [rolleyes]

Everything in the program is either broke, badly designed, or requires too much effort and workarounds to get unacceptable sub part results.

I think Blender is a POS too, but people have actually gotten some impressive work done with it. Unlike tS, where finished work is almost non-existant.

---

I really wish Blender would get rid of the console window, add native widgets, and a UI and workflow that makes sense. It's so hard for me to use it, and I've been modeling with all kinds of software since the mid nineties.
I've stated many, many times that I hate Blender, a lot. And yet, Truespace actually managed to be worse. Not to mention resources for learning Blender are far more plentiful, whereas learning Truespace involves watching videos with terrible voice work that sounds like Half Life's G-man is teaching you.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
I've stated many, many times that I hate Blender, a lot. And yet, Truespace actually managed to be worse. Not to mention resources for learning Blender are far more plentiful, whereas learning Truespace involves watching videos with terrible voice work that sounds like Half Life's G-man is teaching you.

trueStory:

I made a model for my puzzle game last night. I opened tS to make a UV map for it. 2 hours later, after asking on the forum and pouring through the pdf (which skips over the stuff I needed, because you are just supposed to know), I gave up, opened Fragmotion, UV Mapped and textured my model in a few minutes. It only took a minutes (as opposed to seconds) because I had to paint the texture from scratch in my paint app.

In tS, the UV window wouldn't actually work.

Clicking on my material properties to change settings was unresponsive.

The exported model had an extra skeleton I never even made in my file, and I had unchecked to even export one in the first place!

tS is a damn black hole.

wow didnt expect that to be your opinions...i thought tS was really good since it was used in books as a tool to make game assets...is there a way to make a small clip of animation in either software...can you point me to a tutorial...i want my animation to be exported to a file that windows media player can play...
Oddly enough. After overdosing on Blender videos, and finding a go-to guy on the XNA forums, I'm getting along with Blender. I still get stuck on things, but I have someone to ask now.
where did you find those video tutorials for blender...is that videos like the ones from truespace? i like that because they just dont go to basic animation of moving square but they even show how to make a south park matrix movie...hope you know where i can find these kind of video tutorial in blender,or if possible a video tutorial from beginners to pros...thanks
1) which is better as a modeler,ts or blender?
Blender, tS is too unstable
2) i know there is something wrong about blender's ui(so they say here) but is it really a big deal,is ts' ui better than blender?
Its not that big a deal, its just that you won't find what you're looking for by just poking around it (as you should IMO), you'll documentation. tS UI is not really better, but its a bit more intuitive
3) which ui is closer to the ui of 3ds max(my future software goal for modeling)?
Blender's is closer, but that does not mean they are any similar
4) in terms of speed in creating models,assuming your familiar to both modeler(ts and blender),which is better?
Neither, if you're proficient with one, that one will be the one you're faster in
5) as exporting file types which has more file type that can be exported(ie, make your model a 3ds file)?
Blender I think, though some export scripts get broken from time to time
6) which is better if i want to make an animation?
Blender, unless Caligari fixed that awful, awful, horrid bone system
7) which has more tutorials?
In my opinion neither has as many or the quality you get from Tuts for Max, Maya or XSI
8) which of these two has a shorter learning curve?
tS
9) overall which is better?
Blender

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement