will linux ever be able to takeover windows in popularity

Started by
213 comments, last by Washu 15 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by xZekex
You hardly ever hear of a virus on Mac or Linux, though they can have them probably. But no because its actually more safe then Windows. Because in order to actually get it, you have to run as root.

Or you need to be running a service with certain privilages which has a vernability in it.

Quote:
And that takes me back to Windows Vista. The UAC is annoying bullshit wannabe Linux. Be actually fails because it pops up for every single damn thing.

bzzt. Wrong.
It pops up for programs which require elevation and/or things which are going to adjust the system in some way and could cause problems.
In a normal day of using Vista I don't see a UAC prompt once.

This is nothing more than 'sudo' with a GUI on it; and who cares if Linux (well, Unix had it first afaik..doesn't that make linux a unix wannabe?) had it first? If you want to look at KDE and Gnome you could call them Windows wannabes as well (imo poor ones but that's another matter)

Quote:
There are no directory permissions whatsoever. That would really cut down on the viruses.

bzzt! wrong.
NTFS has a permissions system, a VERY fine grained one at that. Vista might well be the first version to truely enforce it however but it is there.

Quote:
And the other reason why there are viruses because of its flaw design.

And what 'design flaw' would that be? Simply throwing out a term like that without qualification is frankly, dumb.
Advertisement
So until Windows actually gives a damn about the community I say Linux will dominate the market maybe not right now but it will soon.

You're a fucking idiot.
Quote:Original post by santonel
I managed to get apache, php and mysql working with a little googling and everything went very smoothly whereas Ive had nothing but trouble with IIS.

hm. checking "IIS" in add/remove windows features, downloading and starting sql express, clicking repeadingly "next", and in the end "finish", and it's up and running.

never had any trouble with it.

but yes, each one is okay. i just think linux (and osx) are too much thought to be a holy grail, while both are based on the same old thoughts windows is, and have much less experience for usability and security in the environment of ordinary users. linux is great if set up correctly to be a very secure server. win2008 is, by default, too. so in the server world, there is a tie (with windows having the edge of being very good fused into the desktop clients, giving a nice overall experience).

i personally think a new os should rise on all the knowledge and failures we had the last 10, 20 years in os development. this for both the backend (scalability, security) and the frontend (usability, consistency, flexibility)

i love singularity.. based on their thoughts, a "Linux 2.0" should rise.

anyone got any news yet about the supposed new microsoft os for the cloudworld? (not windows7). i just read somewhere about it, but dunno...
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Quote:Original post by Andrew Russell
So until Windows actually gives a damn about the community I say Linux will dominate the market maybe not right now but it will soon.

You're a fucking idiot.

you forgot this one
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Whaaat? That doesn't even make sense. You're saying that until Windows does something that they may already do, Linux will continue to do something it certainly doesn't yet do?

Linux can't dominate *until* anything. It has to *start* dominating first.

Apart from that, since when did Linux give a damn about the community? Linux has always been for those who wrote it. The kernel is made by the kernel developers, to suit the kernel developers needs.
The reason Linux works with hardware X is because a developer had hardware X, and he needed it to work for his own purposes.
Gnome, KDE and pretty much every other piece of Linux software are made by their respective developers, to suit their needs. None of them give a damn about the "community", about what people who aren't actually developers on the project, need or want.

Now, I'm not saying Microsoft has got the whole "listening to the community" thing nailed down either. But I don't see much to suggest that Linux should be much better at it.
Quote:Original post by santonel
So let the normal users use Windows/OSX and advanced users use Linux/BSD/Unix/Etc.. Everyone's happy so I don't see the need to switch average users to Linux.

I bought an Eee PC (which ships with Linux) and gave it to my wife and kids. I have never touched it. They turned it on and started using it without even reading the manual. I have never had to give them any support (except for showing my wife where the SD card slot was, which was shortly after showing her what an SD card was and explaining what it was doing in her camera -- but that's another story).

I wish I could say the same thing about our Windows computer, but then again we use that machine for things other than browsing the internet, email, and word processing.

At this point, I would say Linux is best for the average user. Windows is good for someone with a bit of technical know-how or training, and with a knowledgable user on call. An advanced user can, of course, use anything.

This is based on my experience, though, not dogmatic ideology. I am sure many of you will disagree based on how firmly you grip the latter.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Quote:Original post by davepermen
you forgot this one

Oh - I could have kept going - I figured it wasn't worth it. Here's another that almost made it in.
Quote:Original post by curtmax_0
GNU software doesn't have to be free anyways. IIRC you can sell precompiled versions as long as you give away source code.

Well the point is someone other have right to compile executables and give them away for free.

Windows makes you its bitch.
You make Linux your bitch.

*watches out for the Windows fanboys* xD (its a joke)

Anyways, I personally think that Linux can take over the windows world. Except for the hardcore Windows fanbase. But most don't like it because they don't honestly think the userbase of Linux community is liek 2 billion. Actually theres more than people actually assume there is. Theres distros from the easiest to the hardest. I personally use Gentoo which is where you do pretty much everything from scratch. And get more out of it then any other distros.

The problem with Windows is the lack of customizble. Like for instance, take the uxtheme.dll garbage. You can't use custom ones unless you patch the dll. In Linux you have no bs restriction. Hell, you pay $300 for an OS you should be able to customize the fuck out of it. Microsoft doesn't give a fuck really about the community (assuming). Or else they would actually open up a real forum and actually fucking listen instead of assuming A or B. Take Internet Explorer for example. It didn't use the standards for shit until Firefox/Mozilla came around. Now in IE8 they are actually using the standards for fucking once.

Microsoft likes to make its own standards and not give a shit about the real ones. If Mozilla/Firefox wasn't around. IE would still be a steamy pile of shit. Basically it still is they won't get rid of ACTIVE XPLOIT. Thats why there are viruses. Because of that main reason. Do they remove it hell no.
They start sueing Linux and probably Mac because they are starting to become better since Linux, Mac doesn't have to worry about freaking spyware that you get with IE and on Windows.

You hardly ever hear of a virus on Mac or Linux, though they can have them probably. But no because its actually more safe then Windows. Because in order to actually get it, you have to run as root. And that takes me back to Windows Vista. The UAC is annoying bullshit wannabe Linux. Be actually fails because it pops up for every single damn thing. The directory layout is horrible. There are no directory permissions whatsoever. That would really cut down on the viruses. And the other reason why there are viruses because of its flaw design. There really is no way to fix it unless they rebuild it all from scratch and listen to the community and take the knowledge from other people.

See the best thing about Linux, is that the community can actually voice their opinions and its *actually* heard. And if you have the knowledge you can hack it and customize it way more. And people don't give me that shit about user simplicity why Windows is higher demand than Linux. Its because people don't know about Linux. IF you give them a simple disk I bet they would switch. But guess what, most can't switch because they are trapped with Windows. Because bullshit companies won't develop for other operating systems. Because they choose not to. Hell ID company makes games for Linux. They actually give a shit us. But no other company really gives a fuck.

All I can say you can hate me. But really, Linux community actually gives a fuck about their people not Microsoft. They just give a damn about the money and thats it. They are just a monopoly wither anyone can see that or not.

It's morons like you that give Linux users a bad name.
Quote:Original post by Bregma
I bought an Eee PC ...

Here's my take on the Eee PC and subnote books in general; it's not linux which matters but the UI.

The Asus ONE for example has a 'desktop' which has a couple of tiled windows with icons for common tasks on them (such as internet and email). I'm lead to believe that the Eee PC's setup is much the same.

This goes back to what stimarco said about good interfaces. Setup an Eee PC with a custom desktop in the same manner and you'd probably get the same results.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement