will linux ever be able to takeover windows in popularity

Started by
213 comments, last by Washu 15 years, 6 months ago
All they really need to do is sit down and write drivers for the 1 million peripherals people want to plug into their machine. That's why people use Windows, Microsoft pays people to do the shitwork that no open source idealogue wants to do.

Just my 2c.

Shedletsky's Bits: A Blog | ROBLOX | Twitter
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea...

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by curtmax_0
Yeah well it's too easy to mess up your video config in 'nix. If xorg.conf (or whatever it's called) has any problems you get dumped to a console. Let's watch and see of Joe Average can fix that.

Ubuntu uses BulletProofX which reverts to VESA or if that fails VGA + launches displayconfig-gtk (Gnomes video settings application) if X fails to start due to a borked xorg.conf (I don't know how you've managed to bork yours during normal use though, only time i have had X fail on me (in recent years, i did have a decent amount of trouble when i was messing around with redhat 10 years ago or so) was after changing graphics card, but having X go back to VESA is acceptable imo (Windows went even further and dropped to VGA from the same upgrade (dual-boot system), 640x480 16 colors)

[Edited by - SimonForsman on October 11, 2008 2:29:29 PM]
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Quote:Original post by xZekex
Anyways, I personally think that Linux can take over the windows world. Except for the hardcore Windows fanbase.
Software only takes over the world in fiction and the Windows 'fanbase' isn't 'hardcore'.
Quote:The problem with Windows is the lack of customizble. Like for instance, take the uxtheme.dll garbage. You can't use custom ones unless you patch the dll.
If this were Linux you'd call it 'tweaking' and claim it's all about security and stability, surely?
Quote:Hell, you pay $300 for an OS you should be able to customize the fuck out of it.
Why? I pay $300/£150 for an OS it should do exactly what I want straight out the box dammit!
Quote:Microsoft doesn't give a fuck really about the community (assuming). Or else they would actually open up a real forum and actually fucking listen instead of assuming A or B.
Lol. Fortunately this has been handled by others above.
Quote:Take Internet Explorer for example. It didn't use the standards for shit until Firefox/Mozilla came around. Now in IE8 they are actually using the standards for fucking once.
So you're saying Microsoft listened to what people want, compared themselves to their competitors and revamped their existing software accordingly in order to come back to us with something new and improved? Those bastards!

Quote:Microsoft likes to make its own standards and not give a shit about the real ones.
De facto versus de jure, so what?

Quote:If Mozilla/Firefox wasn't around. IE would still be a steamy pile of shit.
That's business studies 101 - Competitors are a market force that drive each other.

Quote:Basically it still is they won't get rid of ACTIVE XPLOIT. Thats why there are viruses. Because of that main reason. Do they remove it hell no.
They start sueing Linux and probably Mac because they are starting to become better since Linux, Mac doesn't have to worry about freaking spyware that you get with IE and on Windows.
Microsoft has the largest slice of the market share with Windows - If I was going to make a game I'd target Windows, if I were going to make a virus I'd target Windows. Microsoft do their best to keep us safe from threats.

Quote:You hardly ever hear of a virus on Mac or Linux, though they can have them probably.
Yeah, fact is, if you live in a bubble you're less likely to catch a cold.

Quote:And if you have the knowledge you can hack it and customize it way more.
Rather than destabilising my OS with hacks, I'm over on Windows getting my work done.

Quote:And people don't give me that shit about user simplicity why Windows is higher demand than Linux. Its because people don't know about Linux.
Why should the average user, the biggest customer demographic of Windows, know about Linux?

Quote:But no other company really gives a fuck.
Okay, so now consider the title of this thread.

Quote:All I can say you can hate me. But really, Linux community actually gives a fuck about their people not Microsoft. They just give a damn about the money and thats it.
Without their customers Microsoft would be ruined. Customers have a choice, they choose to go to Microsoft, Microsoft must be doing something right.

Quote:They are just a monopoly wither anyone can see that or not.
The government see it, that's their job, they ensure Microsoft stay competitive and provide consumers with quality products. Linux software is sub-standard quality compared to what you find on Windows and Mac, it's fair to say it is actually the Linux community being anti-competitive, not Microsoft.

Quote:So until Windows actually gives a damn about the community I say Linux will dominate the market maybe not right now but it will soon.
That doesn't even make sense.
the kid got destroyed
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I think this thread has reached its pinnacle... time to spare it from it's inevitable demise.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement