Updating Tutorials?

Started by
3 comments, last by xZekex 15 years, 6 months ago
I am new to this site. I have been working through the tutorials, trying to learn the OpenGL, and was wondering if these would be updated. As the "code is that it was written in 1997" and some of the tutorials are not working with the current software of Visual C++ 2005 Express edition and SDK. (currently lesson 30 and 31 so far) Back in the 1990s I wrote code for games in assmebly language and I am trying to learn the new C++ code with OpenGL.
Advertisement
Hey,

Yeah we are updating the tutorials. On the front page there is a "New Lessons" link where we have the first few tutorials. Carsten (the other NeHe maintainer) is currently working on making these to OpenGL 3.0 forward-compatible (i.e. making them future proof).

At the moment my time is very limited as I am authoring an OpenGL book and the deadlines are tight. That's why updates have been slow since August. Carsten has slightly more time but he is at university so he's busy too.

My advice is to download the "New Lessons" and use the basecode (window creation, keyboard input, timer) from there, and then use the old lessons as a reference for the OpenGL code. Also download a version of the OpenGL spec from http://www.opengl.org/sdk/ it's pretty easy to read and is really handy to have around.

Luke (NeHe maintainer)
Member of the NeHe team.
Wouldn't 3.0 compatibile mean shaders only?
Yup exactly.. No fixed function pipeline any more..

We'll have to use own matrix libraries, shaders and VBOs only.

Carsten
Yeah, I was confused when reading that the tutorials were 3.0 compatible when it didn't have shaders at all in them xD

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement