Intel 945GME graphics driver linux

Started by
6 comments, last by GenPFault 15 years, 5 months ago
Hi, it's me - again [headshake] - Since I started recently to port my engine to linux I now face the problem of sufficient OpenGL drivers for my notebook. Here I run openSuSE 11.0 and glxinfo says it supports OpenGL 1.3. However, I need at least 1.4 or better 1.5, which my notebook's Intel 945GME graphics chip should support (although it's likely to be slow) - at least Intel says so. I looked around on [google] but wasn't able to find sufficient information on such a driver for linux. There are some possibilities (someone mentioned he patched intelfb, intel mentions their embedded toolkit (which is a download of a windows exe even for linux, ...) but I had no success in getting one up and running so far. Does anyone of you know of a driver I could use and if needed of some tutorial how to build them (if really necessary)? Thanks in advance, Thomas
If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!
Advertisement
AFAIK, there is only one driver for Intel cards: xf86-video-intel. The development is supported by Intel itself and they are implementing a lot of interesting features lately, but regrettably a good 3D acceleration isnt one of them.
Quote:Original post by rogerdv
AFAIK, there is only one driver for Intel cards: xf86-video-intel. The development is supported by Intel itself and they are implementing a lot of interesting features lately, but regrettably a good 3D acceleration isnt one of them.

Wait, does Intel have good 3D acceleration on any platform now ?
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Thanks for the hint. I'm currently using Ubuntu eee which is equiped with the xf86-video-intel driver by default I think.
As far as I could find out on the net, the 450 FPS I'm getting with glxgears on the Acer Aspire One aren't that bad.

Actually I'll develop the core parts of the engine on it (like overall design, resource management etc.) and not the graphics algorithms (for which I'll use my GeForce empowered desktop ;) ), so I guess I'll be fine. Unless I get basic shaders working (which I should be able to do since GLEW reports OpenGL 2.1 support - must be the software implementation) and the performance isn't too bad for simple scenes everything's going to be OK. The netbook is just for not wasting time when commuting to and from work or being on travels.

Eventually I'll try the IEGD drivers if I can manage to get them building on my system. I'll then let you know about the results.
If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!
Quote:Original post by Lord_Evil
Hi, it's me - again [headshake] -

Since I started recently to port my engine to linux I now face the problem of sufficient OpenGL drivers for my notebook.
Here I run openSuSE 11.0 and glxinfo says it supports OpenGL 1.3. However, I need at least 1.4 or better 1.5, which my notebook's Intel 945GME graphics chip should support (although it's likely to be slow) - at least Intel says so.

I looked around on [google] but wasn't able to find sufficient information on such a driver for linux. There are some possibilities (someone mentioned he patched intelfb, intel mentions their embedded toolkit (which is a download of a windows exe even for linux, ...) but I had no success in getting one up and running so far.

Does anyone of you know of a driver I could use and if needed of some tutorial how to build them (if really necessary)?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Weird, I'm running stock Ubuntu 8.10 on an Eee PC 1000 and I'm getting OpenGL 1.4 from glxinfo.
Maybe Ubuntu 8.10 has better drivers by default. I'm running Ubuntu eee 8.04 and I get OpenGL 1.3 from glxinfo and OpenGL 2.1 from glewinfo. Does the EEE PC 1000 have a 945GME, too?
Ubunto 8.4 ships with inter driver 2.2.1. Ubuntu 8.10 ships with driver 2.4.1. So there;s your answer. Get the latest xserver-xorg-video-intel driver.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Get you some new drivers!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement