Behold, the impossible project!

Started by
14 comments, last by Luckless 15 years, 6 months ago
panda 3d. It is open source, Disney uses it in its MMOs(at least toontown online though I thought I had read that the pirates of the Caribbean MMO was going to use it too) It is about as simple as you can get, though it is still going to be more effort than you want. It is about as close as your going to get I think.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by stonemetal
panda3d. It is open source, Disney uses it in its MMOs(at least toontown online though I thought I had read that the pirates of the Caribbean MMO was going to use it too) It is about as simple as you can get, though it is still going to be more effort than you want. It is about as close as your going to get I think.
My second on that choice (and yes, pirates of the caribbean uses it).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:
Quote:
C. Get a high paying job, save money, and hire you a development team. You'll need at least: Programmers, musicians, artists.
It's been my experience that the only person you can rely on for a hobby project is yourself - everyone else produces nothing of consequence, because they don't share the same drive as you.
I could be wrong, but I think by 'hire a development team' he meant 'hire a full-time professional development team' (in which case your concerns about motivation would be more or less irrelevant).
How about realm crafter?

www.realmcrafter.com

Its an mmo creator, no programming needed.

If you do want to get your hands dirty it uses a scripting language.
I think it's about as simple as mmo creation is going to get.

I'm not sure what quality of games you could make with it, and i'm not really sure what features it has as i've never used it.

You do get access to the source code once you buy it so you could add in any features you want - but that is going to require programming knowledge obviously.

And that is the problem - unless you can program an engine yourself you'll have to make do with an engine not specifically designed for your game.

No, but seriously...prototyping with Neverwinter Nights 2 for fantasy MMOs would be highly recommended...
Quote:Original post by visage
No, but seriously...prototyping with Neverwinter Nights 2 for fantasy MMOs would be highly recommended...

No, but seriously, do you have any idea what kind of game he is trying to develop? I haven't played with Neverwinter Nights 2, but I don't remember seeing anything that even hinted at being able to build and interact with the world itself, only the avatars and triggers/switches set within the world by a designer. How do you build a house in NWN2?
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement