Looking to become Independent Publisher - Companies that produce packaging and dics?

Started by
8 comments, last by stimarco 15 years, 5 months ago
We are getting close to completing a PC game and we are looking to publisher this game ourselves. Is there any companies out there that specializes in creating the retail packaging for games? Like creating and producing the box, CD design, and reproducing the CD's and getting them Retail ready? Basically, we send the game to them and they send back retail packaging ready to go, disc, inserts, box, etc. If anyone can help, that would be great. I tried googling and didn't come up with much.
Advertisement
Unfortunately I don't have the links handy, but when I looked into it awhile back I could get 1000 pressed (not burned) CDs in DVD packaging, complete with CMYK color sleeve insert and fold-over (inside) insert, individually shrinkwrapped delivered to my door for around $2000 USD + a one-time tooling/startup fee of like $200 to cover the creation of the CD stamp and some very basic layout work on the graphics. I recall that they offered more in-depth design services for an additional fee.

If I can dig up the links I'll post back, but at least that should give you an idea of what ballpark you're in for a smallish run of pressed discs and packaging. Most places won't press fewer than 1000 discs at a time, though some will for a larger startup fee. Don't do burned discs, or you'll have angry customers in a few months to a couple years time, depending on how they treat them. Burned discs are far more susceptible to errors other damage due to things like heat and sunlight. If you must do burned media, make sure its archive-quality media from a reputable manufacturer.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Why on earth would you want to create physical products? Unless you are a well financed publisher with a pipeline of products to release throughout the year and a marketing budget to back it up it makes no sense to do physical product.

1. The inventory risk - what happens it it doesn't sell? You have spent money on making the product and you will never get it back.
- a digital download version costs cents to put on a server and if it doesn't sell you don't have to take a trip to the dessert to bury boxes.
2. Storage and shipping - Until they sell they cost money to store and when you sell they cost money to ship.
- Digital distribution costs are tiny compared to this.
3. Retailers won't take your game unless you pay them thousands of dollars in marketing contributions and show them that you have many thousands to spend on marketing. Even then they may not want it because it is easier to work with EA, Activision etc who provide a constant stream of games to fill the shelves.
4. Because of 3 above you will mainly need to sell from your own website - makes no sense to attract people to a web site, get them to buy and then spend time/money shipping physical product when it is quicker and cheaper to do digital distribution.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
What are the options other then "burned discs" or "burned media"?

I found one company that replicates and prints the CD's, packaging, etc. But they are a few countries away.

What questions do I ask regarding the replicate/burned media options?
As Obscure mentioned, there is digital distribution. Xbox Live Arcade, WiiWare, and Steam are all great delivery platforms that work.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
I understand these platforms work and we will utilize as well, but we are also going to produce and sell physical copies of the game. It wasn't a debate if we should or shouldn't. I'm simply looking for any companies that specialize in CD Replicating, CD Printing, and CD Packaging (jewel cases, boxes, etc.).
You remind me of Introversion Software.
I think they even burned the CDs themselves and send them to the peopel who ordered them.
If i were you I would check out their site and ask for help on boxing games: http://www.introversion.co.uk/
My Blog - http://www.freakybytes.org
Just search for CD/DVD pressing companies (wherever you're from). My old band put out an album and the pressing, disc labels, paper inserts/covers and case was very affordable (i.e. we got 500 for $500, probably a bit more money for DVDs).

If you're looking to produce a LOT of discs (i.e. on the degree of the average game you see at retail) you might have problems finding a plant with the capacity to fill your order though. Oh, and anything on Wii/PS3/Xbox360 needs to be manufactured through the first party companies themselves.
I've done this sort of thing in the past. Shoot me a PM, and I'll give you a push in the right direction.

~Terry
Apogee Software
ALLERGY ADVISORY
May contain puns.

Quote:Original post by Obscure
Why on earth would you want to create physical products? Unless you are a well financed publisher with a pipeline of products to release throughout the year and a marketing budget to back it up it makes no sense to do physical product.

I handle customer support for one of the pioneers of ESD and you'd be surprised how often I field requests for boxed versions. I agree with your arguments against doing this on any kind of large scale, but there is a demand. Many Casual / MOR games appeal to the older generations, who are far more comfortable with getting a physical product for their money. It'll be years before that generation dies off (or just gets used to the idea of getting abstract ones and zeroes instead.) Even the likes of Kagi offer a 'backup CD' for many of their products.

Quote:
...and if it doesn't sell you don't have to take a trip to the dessert to bury boxes.

It's true, folks! In the early '80s, Atari had to bury millions of copies of their "ET" game in a gigantic vat of Angel Delight. The entire game-filled dessert was then buried in a desert.

(What? I never claimed they were good puns!)
Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement