Some accumulated ideas

Started by
3 comments, last by JasRonq 15 years, 5 months ago
I've read the sticky about posting ideas, but something tells me that I might step over some etiquette anyway... This is some ideas I've got while playing different games, usually for free. They may or may not be combined, but the kind of game that I'm especially dreaming of is a dynamic space universe MMO where some of the features would be that players can be responsible for alot of the game content and you can explore both space and planet surfaces - which I guess sound very ambitious. In the space game I do not expect there to be that many solar systems... if additional servers doesn't allow for it. The solar system(s) would in return be much more detailed. In order to make it easier to have explorable planet surfaces, I guess one possibility would be to divide the surface into a pentadodecahedron. This especially if the game would be in 2D - I'm actually abit fond of the idea of a Galidor Quest like MMO (in terms of area display) that might be played in a browser. A problem I can think of with a pentadodecahedron surface is that it would probably be difficult and/or confusing to select a pentagon (to land on) from space. In a 2D Galidor Quest like game I would like there to be avatars that would be displayed while mousing over the player in a fading corner pup-up window, not fading if the player is selected - the window might then have a few actions available such as trade or invite for group play. Players may upload a picture as their AV just like in a forum. Space aliens and other NPCs would ofcourse also have their (standard or random for kind of character) avatars. Different encounters and other happenings in the game might also cause such fading pop-up windows, maybe with appropriate cinematics. ... While I was playing the trial of the space simulator game Freelancer I discovered a huge modding community called Lancersreactor. Sadly most of it has disappeared, but here is a link showing the former complexity of it in the Way Back Machine - link. This modding community made mods with player-made content that was often combined into packages which would be used on different MP servers - I would like to see a game that was made for a similar community. If the game was to be in 2D I would hope that alot of content could be made easily by players with Photoshop - such as vehicles and weapons. There should also be instuctions on how to make animated characters. I was also hoping that content like this could be stored in a database, and loaded as cache instead of being pre-installed on client. The content, e.g. some kind of weapon, would gain strength by a system that would determine the quality it can give the game. The system is more autocratic than it is democratic: - Trusted members of a factions vote up content they think is good. - GM's or someone who have interest in the game's quality vote which factions' votes should have the most weight. This is meant to prevent abuse, but it would probably still be possible to abuse the system. I might continue later.
Advertisement
Select the planet from space, choose the tile and enter the landing mini-game.
Unless the area is designated as one that does not require the mini-game.

This way, planets can be rendered as round from further away.

I don't understand half of what you said. But that's cool, I'm sure someone will get your whole message and be more helpful eventually.
No problem, I appreciate your attention anyway. I might have been better at visualizing my idea more than expressing it.

I might go on with a few more ideas. I don't really care too much whether people are reading, I just want them out.

In a space combat setting it would be interesting, if possible, to see ships equipped with long blades intended to cut through enemies. I made a sketch a few years ago depicting something like that:

Photobucket

While maybe more interesting in movies I can imagine that it would be more difficult to implement something like that into gameplay, espcially 3D games I guess.

In 2D you would have to make sure the blades didn't cut anyone unintended, like in trafficated friendly areas - either by folding the blades together or by 'dodging' them in a third dimension. The third dimension would then be made mainly for dodging and moving past larger stations and ships if they happened to be in the way. I wouldn't want such a third dimension to be much complicated in a 2D-displayed game.

While I was playing the space trader, browser based, MMO game Chosen Space I found it boring and slow to browse through commodities that would give profit to trade - From a giant list of sales and demands, displaying the price and amount they were either selling or demanding, a &#106avascript page I made generated a list which I found much more useful:

I would suggest that, instead of using time on browsing tables of sales and demands, players should be able to focus on new introduced challanges that force them to reconsider how and where they want their starship to travel.

Other challanges than profit by trade could be:

- Taking into consideration dangerous pirates and military operations in the trade route, how to avoid them, and how to fend against them.

- Asteroid fields and other things that may damage ships and equipment, maybe in different ways depending on what kind of obstacle it is.

- Passengers. If some alien queen termite and her larva isn't at a certain planet to a certain time to see the unhatching of thousands of larva your ship will be filled with icky giant termite babies that might get a taste for ship hull.

Also, while trading can be 'dynamic' like in Chosen Space, it would be nice to see some more predictability in the economical winds. The economical climate should be affected by happenings, like more production of a commodity - which might come from player industry and more demand of whatever commodity.
Make the blade ships drones. As in non-PC controlled, just PC activated.
That would simplify it a whole lot.
I've seen many times in TV sci-fi shows the idea of invasive shuttles that ram a ship with a piercing reinforced front that breaks open the hull of a ship for troopers to get on board. Drones that are made to simple ram a ship, make a whole, and pull out to do it again could act like a swarm of wasps making hull breaches all over, venting air, disrupting systems and even destroying external engine structures. Payloads could also be added, much like a wasps venom in its stinger.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement