Game dev feasible with old specs?

Started by
22 comments, last by Iori Branford 15 years, 6 months ago
I have a computer that is 400mhz and 198mb of RAM and can do gamedev just fine.
I have XP installed on it though. :P
Advertisement
My old laptop was a Dell Latitude 400mhz with 256MB ram and XP Home, and that ran Visual Studio 2003 with no problems (albeit a little slowly).

My desktop at the time was the same machine - 700mhz Celeron with 64MB ram and an ATi Rage Pro. I did a lot of DarkBASIC development on that, and dipped my toes into the C++ waters when I finally got Visual Studio 6.

You already mentioned you don't really want to spend money, but a 512MB stick of SDRAM is peanuts on eBay and would make that machine a lot more capable and enjoyable platform to make games with.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

For the love of god, don't use VC6 to compile your code. By all means, use it as an IDE, but use something else to compile it. (Like GCC for example)

The compiler that comes with VC6 is abysmal with regards to standard compliance. In fact, depending on what you want to do (use certain boost libraries for example), you might find that you can't actually get the code to compile at all.

That said, I don't know if you can use VC6 as a debugger, if you didn't compile the code with it, so maybe it's not a good idea.
Quote:Original post by Stab-o-tron
For the love of god, don't use VC6 to compile your code. By all means, use it as an IDE, but use something else to compile it. (Like GCC for example)

The compiler that comes with VC6 is abysmal with regards to standard compliance. In fact, depending on what you want to do (use certain boost libraries for example), you might find that you can't actually get the code to compile at all.

That said, I don't know if you can use VC6 as a debugger, if you didn't compile the code with it, so maybe it's not a good idea.

Also, apps compiled in VC (all versions) tend to require VC DLLs which the user must install from a redist package (or you have to remember to include with the app).

MinGW (GCC for Windows) is specifically designed to eliminate any dependence on these external binaries. Easiest ways to set it up with an IDE are at CodeBlocks or DevC++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement