Scrolling backgrounds

Started by
4 comments, last by 39ster 15 years, 5 months ago
I can't figure out how to make the background scroll faster than the the "view". Here's the code i've got so far:

Background& background = *it;
        Image* image = background.image;

//Get the "offset"
        float backX = view.x - (floorf(float(view.x) / image->GetWidth()) * image->GetWidth());

for(int y = 0; y < int(view.h + image->GetHeight()); y += image->GetHeight())
        {
            for(int x = 0; x < int(view.w + image->GetWidth()); x += image->GetWidth())
            {

graphics.DrawImage(image, view.x - backX + x, view.y + y, 0, 0, image->GetWidth(),
                    image->GetWidth(), view);
            }
        }

void DrawImage(Image* image, float x, float y, int left, int top, int width, int height, SDL_Rect& view);
I just need the horizontal scrolling to be faster. [Edited by - 39ster on November 11, 2008 5:10:03 PM]
Advertisement
Just in case you're not sure what i mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_scrolling

I want it to draw like "Layer 1" where it is moving at a different speed than the foreground. Right now it moves at the same speed as the foreground.
backX *= 2.0f;
(after initialisation. for a 2x rate of scroll)

Unless I'm missing something :]
_______________________________ ________ _____ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
Thanks, but that does this weird "skipping" thing when i use 0.5 as the speed. It will scroll half way then suddenly skip back.
apologies.. guess I should of read your code a bit harder xD
float backX = (view.x * 0.5f) - (floorf(float(view.x * 0.5f) / image->GetWidth()) * image->GetWidth());
that work okay?
_______________________________ ________ _____ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
Yes that worked. Thank you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement