[web] Starting a Website

Started by
15 comments, last by In_Yack_Mode 15 years, 5 months ago
First thank you for all the links I have read one and will read the other two after this.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
The host is already running either Apache or IIS, which are web servers.

Ok thanks thats what I didn't understand. I wasn't sure how that was going to happen. So what do I need my Apache for? To just test scripts or what?

Quote:Pay close attention to how much bandwidth the host provides, what restrictions are present, if any (daily limits, for instance), and what the consequences of exceeding the daily, weekly and monthly limits are.

How much should I look for? How much do you use?

Again thanks for all the help!

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by In_Yack_Mode
So what do I need my Apache for? To just test scripts or what?

On your own machine? Yes, just to test. It has no bearing on the Apache/IIS instance on your web host.

Quote:How much should I look for?

How much do you think you need? How large is each of your pages - including any &#106avascript and CSS files you may include? How many times do you anticipate each page will be requested, on average, per month? How much does that total? That's how much you need.

Quote:How much do you use?

On my private site, barely anything. I don't have a single public page, and mostly use it (currently) just for file transfers and sharing. I can't remember the bandwidth needs from any of my previous jobs.
Ok thanks that makes it seem quite a bit more clear than a few days ago. What hosting do you(the people of GameDev) recommend? I am trying to get as many opinions as I can. I have been suggested Lunarpages but I have also read some bad reveiws. Gem3 seems ok but I really am not sure.
Another vote here for Dreamhost.com.

Flawless so far, been with them for about 3 years now.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Quote:Original post by deadstar
Another vote here for Dreamhost.com.

Flawless so far, been with them for about 3 years now.

Thanks for the advice I read about that and I have some questions about it. What does it mean by this: "How much?
* $5.95 paid 10 years in advance" at the bottom of their "What's included" page? That seems like a weird thing to make you do.

[Edited by - In_Yack_Mode on November 15, 2008 8:07:21 AM]
Quote:Original post by In_Yack_Mode
This particular package

I have been using that particular package for a bit over a year now. Currenty I use it for three separate Joomla+Gallery installations, mostly personal sites that basically don't see any traffic except for family. As far as cheap mass hosting goes, Lunarpages isn't bad. Unfortunately, maybe it's due to the server I am on, or maybe because Joomla is cpu-hungry, or maybe it's just because it's cheap hosting, but everything runs pretty slow. I've also read user reviews complaining of slow and incompetent support, but I haven't had any reason to contact tech support yet.

The programs available through install in cPanel/fantastico are often out of date, but nothing is stopping you from installing your own packages. Sometimes it takes guesswork or digging through cPanel to figure out some parameters for installations though. Be prepared to have to figure things out on your own if you go with this host. Basic familiarity with Linux would be a big help.

Quote:Original post by lightbringer
The programs available through install in cPanel/fantastico are often out of date, but nothing is stopping you from installing your own packages. Sometimes it takes guesswork or digging through cPanel to figure out some parameters for installations though. Be prepared to have to figure things out on your own if you go with this host. Basic familiarity with Linux would be a big help.

Ok I think I'm going to try and find something other than that. Thanks for the info on it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement