backface culling issue

Started by
2 comments, last by Yann L 15 years, 5 months ago
I use back face culling in my program but for some reason its culling the front faces. glEnable(GL_CULL_FACE); Is what i use, is there a way to invert what it culls?
Advertisement
You need to call glCullFace().
great thanks. Does it really speed up the program much at all as mine loads in many md2 models and im using fraps to view the fps and i dont notice any increase in fps.
Quote:Original post by teslaa66
great thanks. Does it really speed up the program much at all as mine loads in many md2 models and im using fraps to view the fps and i dont notice any increase in fps.

The raw fps change doesn't mean anything on pipelined stream processors such as modern GPUs. A render pipeline contains many stages, and each of these stages can suddenly become a bottleneck. Most graphics optimizations will only affect a single or a subset of these stages. So, if you are not limited on these particular stages, you will not notice any speedup at all. But as soon as you optimize for another stage, the bottleneck can shift back to the first one. And suddendly the optimization that didn't show any effect before will now dramatically improve performance.

As you can see, profiling a graphics pipeline is much more complex than simply reading an overall fps counter.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement