[Beginner] Don't know which 3D Modeling Tool to Use

Started by
17 comments, last by BLiTZWiNG 15 years, 5 months ago
I know this has been said before but it does not matter which you use to learn as long as what you create is good and done correctly. BUT my recommendation would be to use 3DsMax. It's used in the industry and is also used in most learning courses because it has the tools you need and is cheaper than Maya. Also, I would consider buying the student version if you are just learning, if you are not a student, perhaps you have a friend or family member who is. That will get you one year of practice before you have to renew the liscense. Also, if you start with a student version, it is cheaper to upgrade to the full copy later on down the road when you are ready.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by artisticspirit
BUT my recommendation would be to use 3DsMax. It's used in the industry and is also used in most learning courses because it has the tools you need and is cheaper than Maya.

Why do people keep spouting off about crap when they obviously don't know what they're talking about? The same thing goes to MrCpaw.

3ds Max is THE industry standard? Say what? Exactly how many artists at how many studios have you spoken with? As I stated in my first post, market penetration for the big three (Max, Maya, XSI) is largely geographic and also has tendencies based on studio size. At least here in the States anyways, Maya is the dominant packages in larger studios, whereas Max is more popular in smaller ones. I can't say I really know why this is, but it is a peculiar trend. Oh, and since when does Maya cost more than Max? Maya Unlimited does, but Maya Unlimited also has features that game studios generally don't use. Maya Complete costs less than Max.

A LOT of larger studios use Maya, my company (a much smaller independent company) uses all Max, and in college I was trained with Maya.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
What do you guys think about Maya PLE?
Quote:Original post by Gage64
What do you guys think about Maya PLE?

Great for learning off of, but you can't do anything commercial with it. You're also limited to a proprietary format specific to PLE.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by rzetlin
I find that there are two extremes for 3D modeling programs:

Free ones: Freespace and Blender

Pros: They are free and can create decent graphics
Cons: Limited resources, documentation and community. Terrible UI especially Blender. Not used by the game industry.
Blender has almost endless resources.

And just a correction on the UI.

trueSpace has a horrible UI. It's hard to learn, and it never helps you. It constantly becomes a barrier to your work.

Blender's UI can be slow to learn, but once you know how to use it, it's very easy to use, and effective.

Blender is quickly becoming a first class product. The presentation on the 2.50 version and it's goals is very impressive. It gets better with each version. I un-installed it after 5 minutes back in the early 2.4x days, but 2.47 and 2.48 were impressive releases that made me stick with it, and now I love it, for the most part.

trueSpace is a sloppy toy. I just posted a mini rant on it in another thread.

Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
Quote:Original post by artisticspirit
BUT my recommendation would be to use 3DsMax. It's used in the industry and is also used in most learning courses because it has the tools you need and is cheaper than Maya.

Why do people keep spouting off about crap when they obviously don't know what they're talking about? The same thing goes to MrCpaw.

3ds Max is THE industry standard? Say what? Exactly how many artists at how many studios have you spoken with? As I stated in my first post, market penetration for the big three (Max, Maya, XSI) is largely geographic and also has tendencies based on studio size. At least here in the States anyways, Maya is the dominant packages in larger studios, whereas Max is more popular in smaller ones. I can't say I really know why this is, but it is a peculiar trend. Oh, and since when does Maya cost more than Max? Maya Unlimited does, but Maya Unlimited also has features that game studios generally don't use. Maya Complete costs less than Max.

A LOT of larger studios use Maya, my company (a much smaller independent company) uses all Max, and in college I was trained with Maya.

I wasn't spouting off crap, you yourself are working in the game industry using MAX. You went to Ivy Tech, so did I and there they taught using 3DsMax, the same with the college I just recieved my Bachelor's for Game design and Developement, they also teach with MAX. ALSO, if you contact an Autodesk rep regarding the two, yes, they are priced differently. I was trying to help, you just wanted to prove you are "high and mighty". Good job, I'll definitely remember to triple check EVERYTHING I say so as not to offend you.
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, I just don't understand why anyone would say that 3ds Max is THE standard when it clearly is not. Also, 3ds Max is not cheaper than Maya Complete (which you had said it was).

Also, I didn't study computer graphics at Ivy Tech. I didn't even attend Ivy Tech for all that long, so I'm not sure why you said that? I also don't use Max, but my coworkers do. I was in no way trying to be "high and mighty" in any way. I have simply just spoken to artists from development studios beyond just my own. Game Developer magazine has even published market penetration data as well that you can look-up pretty easily.

The point in my post is that offering incorrect information really isn't being all that useful. Just because 3ds Max is what you've learned and worked with does not mean that is the standard. It is simply what the school you went to used.
I myself use 3DS max. I am completely self-taught and I have tried others such as Milkshape and the free version of XSI, and none of them I found as likeable as 3DS max. If you have the money to spend on it, I extremely reccomend it.
Quote:
I tried out XSI Mod Tool and I found some turn offs.

- It's memory bloated (XSI Mod Tool - 150 MB vs. Blender 4 MB)
- The XSI Mod Tool has a habit of freezing up
- It doesn't work with Intel GMA graphic cards

-------------

I am starting to lean to towards learning Blender because of its power and affordability.

I had the same problems with the XSI mod tool, mostly in that it froze before I even got to make anything. Most of the time I couldn't even create a project.

I just finished talking about Blender in another thread, and I echo exactly what Daaark says. The earlier versions were hard to use, but it seems the newer 2.47 and 2.48 are getting better, and once you actually persist with the tutorials and get used to it, it becomes a very fast tool to work with, and I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement