Pass of Fail

Started by
13 comments, last by DantarionX 15 years, 5 months ago
I think I understand what you mean:

You want more artistic expression medium that can be run conveniently from a computer. You want the accessibility and the connection that a computer (optionally, with a network) provides, but you want the competiveness that is often found in online games.

You want medium to chill. A medium where there is no pressure to the player to do anything. The player is in control of the expression. Unlike an artist, you are not looking for a medium that generates a product from your expression.

(Analogy: You are not looking for a platform that records a tune that you spontaneously compose, but you are looking for a platform that lets you play a spontaneous tune.)

When you think of a medium like this, do you usually think of it as a visual experience, an musical experience, or other?

Is it accurate to say that you are looking for an interactive screen-saver?

What people could to do for the same sake with a very low requirement of resources:
o hum a tune
o folding paper
o doodle
o make clay models (choose a clay that doesn't smell)
o play with rubber bands

You could play these many times anywhere (probably except folding paper). They in general don't have the multiplayer aspect a networked interaction would offer.

Advertisement
Maybe? I would prefer a little more depth that folding paper. I want to use the computer or console to make something"chill." No pressure, no goal, just kinda zen like where you get done doing what ever and say "Wow that was fun to relax and unwind folding paper on my computer"
Somewhat off-topic, but do you know the protein folding game? What do you think of it?

[ Foldit ]
Quote:Original post by Wai
For most people, if you just give them a yoyo, they don't really know what kind of tricks you could do with it. But if you demonstrate a few tricks, you give the player objectives on how to play with the yoyo.

Guitar + Radio vs. Guitar Hero?

Quote:Original post by CoffinNail
Before Dada, cubism, and surrealism, all art (or anything critically acclaimed, with a few exceptions) was a realistic depiction of the subject.

I belive this is largely due to the invention of workable cameras. When all you have to do is point-and-click to get a realistic depiction of the subject that can easily be reproduced at various sizes with many options for post-processing, why bother creating a realistic image with paint, a method that's both more difficult and more limited? (Also, Google informs me that today is Magritte's 110th birthday!)

Quote:Original post by Wai
Analogy: You are not looking for a platform that records a tune that you spontaneously compose, but you are looking for a platform that lets you play a spontaneous tune.

I'm not entirely sure of the distinction you're making. It would seem the difference is the ease with which you can get something that sounds good. But then, I'm still not sure, because a guitar is, in my opinion, very easy to sound good on; Learn a few chords (G, C, D7, Em, Am) and some simple scale positions (Major/Minor pentatonic with the root on the first and second string) and it's not hard to sound good.

Of course, one of the first things I thought about was the Punk-O-Matic or, more generally, Newgrounds "Gadgets" collection.

One thing I've thought about that may be related is that I may be working hard at some game, whether trying to do all it has to offer or figure out the underlying mechanics or whatever, and then think, "Why?". I mean, why is there any drive at all to work at this arbitrary challenge? I could just as easily set myself some arbitrary challenge, but it seems that the fact that someone else posed the challenge helps legitimize it.

I think there's something similar where I some people don't regard, say, a penny whistle, ukulele, or jug as a "real" instrument, but what makes them less real than an accordian, mandolin, or trap set?
The problem with many "games without true goals" like Spore, GTA, etc, is that sometimes its hard to understand what to do.

I was one of the many people who played spore, got to space, and then.....stopped playing. Before that point, the game was fairly linear, giving choices leading you on a path to creature, tribe, city, and then civilization. But...after space...there was no "Conquer the universe" goal, only "Explore the universe".

I didn't see a purpose in flying around doing whatever I wanted.

In the GTA games, there are story missions and stuff, but often most of the fun I have with them is by just running around trying random stuff that seems fun. But eventually, I find myself wanting to accomplish something, and I head to the provided missions.

Many people I know who play the Sims make up stories and goals for themselves. They create sims of people they know, etc, and have fun playing around in a world that exists as much in their own minds as it does in the game.

However, unless there is room for exploration, and reasons to want to explore, games without goals tend to become boring if you can't find anything to do.
~Dantar

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement