world of conflict explosion effects

Started by
3 comments, last by mickeyren 15 years, 4 months ago
I'm curious about these 3 things: 1. The explosion flash 2. The smoke 3. The fire See the effects in action here: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/82956.html I would think that the smoke are not particle effects, but are sequence of textures - that is, a sprite. The fire I would like to think of it as texture perturbation. The explosion flash, I guess would be a bloom effect? I'm especially very curious about the smokes, they just look so good, animates and move so real. Thanks. [Edited by - mickeyren on December 8, 2008 3:29:58 AM]
Advertisement
If you don't mind looking through tons of HLSL then you could look in x:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\World in Conflict\Shadercache

It should basically be in My Documents, under Vista anyway.

Edit: I assume its done in a shader :p
Innovation not reiterationIf at any point I look as if I know what I'm doing don't worry it was probably an accident.
No, there's no shader magic involved. mickeyren is basically right about the smoke. One of the best ways to get good smoke is to start with a good particle system (that can animate size, position, alpha, etc...), and then also add texture frame animation to create "billowing" smoke that's hard to other create.

If you *do* want to use some shader tricks, that smoke could look even better. In a couple shots it's clear that they're not using 'soft particles', which can get rid of the hard edges when the particles intersect geometry.
osmanb: cool nice to know. It was just i actually stumbled upon that shader code yesterday and felt it was worth mentioning :)

I have to admit i like good smoke in games, adds alot of dynamism to a scene.
Innovation not reiterationIf at any point I look as if I know what I'm doing don't worry it was probably an accident.
Hi

I may need a few more convincing. Let me post a screen shot:

Here I can see the following effects:

1. The explosion flash
2. The trailing fire with smoke.
3. The smoke.

I'm so much interested on how they are rendered real time. See how the trailing fire looks like its about to burst.

And here's my crappy version:

My particle system just simulates the effects using point sprites.

I don't know if they are as simply as doing a particle system that would animate and rotate the textures. Also this basically means that I can't use point sprites to simulate the explosion effects I want.

I'd like to know what improvement I can do to make it look close enough as those in World of Conflict.

Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement