C as first language

Started by
40 comments, last by nilkn 15 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Splinter of Chaos
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
I'm still fond of C. It has its place; Linux is still very C oriented, and it's a good language for low-level libraries.

I believe that's because Linus Torvalds hates C++.

Yes, he hates C++. While I disagree to some of his statements, he has an excellent point. "It's made more horrible by the fact that a lot of substandard programmers use it, to a point where it's much much easier to generate total and utter crap with it.". C++ is great. Is a lot better than C, but only if a competent programmer uses it. Unfortunately, most programmers produce C++ code that is buggy, ugly and badly designed. It's not because C++ has more substandard programmers, but because it is a lot easier to do it in C++ than in C.

So, by following that, I think that C++ should not be learned as a first language. Just as Promit said - it's a worst choice of a language for a first-timer. Either learn low-level C or high level Python/Ruby/C#.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by daviangel
And lastly let's not forget the latest version of Python,arguably one of the easiest and funnest languages to use, in the latest version instead of the simple Old: print "The answer is", 2*2
New: print("The answer is", 2*2)
you have extra parentheses now!
I'm sure it all goes back to Lisp somehow-LOL!
In that language you are drowning in parentheses since you want to make it absolutely clear to the computer what you are doing-LOL!

Those parentheses make possible the following fact: Lisp procedures are Lisp lists. The parentheses are significantly more than a notational difference. [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement