1992 x-men arcade game

Started by
5 comments, last by dashurc 15 years, 4 months ago
iam tryin to see how to make a game like the 1992 x-men arcade game and i wanted to knowe is there any way to get all the code from the game so i can see how something like this is made and i live in greensboro,nc i want to become a programmer but i can't find any schools around here if someone could help with that to or let me know if i can find school text books online and what i need to start i want to learn c++ and iam trying to find a good book to teach me let me know if u know of a good one
Advertisement
Quote:
iam tryin to see how to make a game like the 1992 x-men arcade game
and i wanted to knowe is there any way to get all the code from the game
so i can see how something like this is made

Not unless the owner has released the source code or you know assembly. :)
There might be other games you can legally get the source code to. You can try Liberated Games. To be honest, I don't think looking at the code will be of much help.
Patrick
Quote:Original post by tooncesx
iam tryin to see how to make a game like the 1992 x-men arcade game
and i wanted to knowe is there any way to get all the code from the game
so i can see how something like this is made

I don't think looking at the code will help you much. You will need to be a pretty skilled programmer to understand another persons code completly.

and i live in greensboro,nc i want to become a programmer but i can't find any
schools around here if someone could help with that to or let me know if i can
find school text books online and what i need to start i want to learn c++ and iam trying to find a good book to teach me let me know if u know of a good one

Learning programming is a really good start. C++ is my favourite language but Python is also nice. Most languages have same basic concept (at least all imperative languages). Then you have a good ground then you can begin to explore thing like OpenGL or SDL. The key thing is that you learn programming games when you code games and not by looking on others.
i live in greensboro,nc i want to become a programmer but i can't find any
schools around here

Hogwash. There are colleges in your area, and surely there are some that have computer science programs. Hopefully, whatever school you do go to will also teach you about the proper use of the shift key. (^_^)
Merry Christmas, btw.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
i live in greensboro,nc i want to become a programmer but i can't find any
schools around here

Hogwash. There are colleges in your area, and surely there are some that have computer science programs.

The University of North Carolina at Greensboro - which I attended for a year and a half, as a computer science major - has an excellent computer science program (ranked 14th in the nation in 2000). It's a department now; when I was there it was just a program in the Department of Mathematical Sciences. Say hi to Mark Armstrong, Dr. Nancy Green, Dr. Suzanne Lea and my former advisor Dr. Fereidoon (Fred) Sadri for me.

Sorry, try again.
Quote:Original post by lephyrius
I don't think looking at the code will help you much. You will need to be a pretty skilled programmer to understand another persons code completly.

Exactly.
Looking at code for a 1992 arcade game is not a good way to learn anything. Hardware is so much better nowadays and there are much easier and less tricky ways to do things than existed back then.

For something like the X-men arcade game (excellent game by the way), you could look into a 2D development environment like flash and actionscript. Flash lends itself to quick iteration and you could probably get something really basic (like a character walking around a blank screen) after a few weeks (assuming you know nothing about flash).

If you really want to learn C++ (or any other programming language), I'd recommend ignoring games for a bit and just focusing on learning programming. A good programmer can easily apply themselves to games later on anyways. Programming a game similar to X-men where you'd actually have to worry about rendering, audio and input handling (etc.) would take years depending on how big you want to make it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement