Question about getting into the business

Started by
4 comments, last by Gaiiden 15 years, 4 months ago
I have a nephew who is graduating from Collins College in AZ. He will have a BA in Video Game design. He wants to program video games. Can any one provide some advice on what to do next to get into the industry? He's concerned that the college he went to is not highly rated and may not have received enough education to start out. What would be some prerequisites you feel would be necessary for him to know before seeking a job? Any advice you can provide will be helpful. Thx
Advertisement
It's not so much what he knows, but what he can do. Examples of his work are very important. Has he been involved in any design competitions around the web? Has he done any board or paper games? How much design does he do on his own time? Has he worked with any teams on projects? It's better to hand show off your own stuff than just coursework.

If he hands over a resume with a list of talents but nothing to back up those bullet points he'll just be looked over. No one will care what college he came from, as long as he seems capable of doing the job.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Quote:Original post by Gaiiden
It's not so much what he knows, but what he can do. Examples of his work are very important. Has he been involved in any design competitions around the web? Has he done any board or paper games? How much design does he do on his own time? Has he worked with any teams on projects? It's better to hand show off your own stuff than just coursework.

If he hands over a resume with a list of talents but nothing to back up those bullet points he'll just be looked over. No one will care what college he came from, as long as he seems capable of doing the job.

Thanks for the info. I see you are from NJ. So is my nephew. He's about 20 miles west of Philly.

Do you know of gamers groups that focus on programming that he could get involve with? I'm not sure if there are such groups around.

thx.
Quote:Original post by pckgame1
Quote:Original post by Gaiiden

Thanks for the info. I see you are from NJ. So is my nephew. He's about 20 miles west of Philly.

Do you know of gamers groups that focus on programming that he could get involve with? I'm not sure if there are such groups around.

thx.

gamedev.net is actually a good place to meet likeminded people from around the world. Take a look at the "Help Wanted" section of the forum, and you'll see how many are looking for similar groups right now.

Best of luck!
Student at NITH, Norway2nd year of Gameprogramming BachelordegreeC++ enthusiast
Quote:Original post by pckgame1Thanks for the info. I see you are from NJ. So is my nephew. He's about 20 miles west of Philly.

For joining a gaming group it doesn't matter too much where you are located. Plenty of hobbyist groups are spread across the world and work via the internet. He could have a look in the Help Wanted section of this website to see if there is something he wants to join.

Otherwise there is the International Game Developers Association. Maybe there is a local branch?
The IGDA does indeed have a Philly chapter, I'm good friends with several members. And I think you mean 20 miles east of Philly? :)

I'd suggest he head over to the IGDA forums and introduce himself on the Philly forum, and attend a meeting when he's home. If he is indeed in Jersey, then he should definitely come check out a NJ meeting up north in Bloomfield. We're the most active local chapter.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement