iPhone is 'more powerful than a Nintendo DS and PSP combined

Started by
8 comments, last by captainfreedom 15 years, 3 months ago
i'm not sure if this was posted (its an old note) but what do you think about what Carmack said? http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/08/01/carmack_iphone_more_powerful_than_nintendo_ds_psp_combined.html
Advertisement
Consider the hardware:

DS:
66 MHz processor
Extremely primitive 3D
4MB RAM

PSP:
333 MHz processor
Nearly usable 3D
32 MB RAM

iPhone:
620 MHz processor
Good 3D processor
128 MB RAM.

Saying that it is more powerful than the two combined isn't Earth-shattering news.
Only nearly usable? They have Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories. running on there pretty nicely. That should count as more than usable. The specs on the machine are higher than those required for running Quake 2.

The Zune is pretty good too, at 300+mhz and 16mb for games.
Quote:Original post by frob
Consider the hardware:

PSP:
333 MHz processor
Nearly usable 3D
32 MB RAM

Saying that it is more powerful than the two combined isn't Earth-shattering news.
I am not going to dispute that the iPhone is or is not more powerful, but the PSP has a lot more going on under the hood than you give it credit for [smile]

http://blog.empas.com/jkln75/15768880
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube

nds feature not just 1 but two processor (66mhz + 33 mhz). In any case nds is technically inferior to iphone and psp.

Iphone uses a common StrongArm processor featuring some security measure,h264,floating point, usb, bluetooth,modem,irda,ac97,and mmc/sd feature.

And PSP feature a 333mgz MIPS proccesor plus a 166mhz gpu processor.

Iphone is a awesome machine but PSP is way better for 3d games, PSP was designed specifically for 3d games, instead Iphone was developer for connectivity and features.

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
As I learned with my old 624 MHz Dell PDA, the processor and GPU mean *nothing* if there is a ridiculously crappy data bus limiting everything.
The PSP has TWO 333MHz processors, and I think I saw it had 33mil polys a sec, whereas the iphone has one 400MHz processor(I think its underclocked though), and 1.4mil polys a sec
Quote:Original post by zacaj
The PSP has TWO 333MHz processors, and I think I saw it had 33mil polys a sec, whereas the iphone has one 400MHz processor(I think its underclocked though), and 1.4mil polys a sec
Lets not all make the same mistake Sony did the last time around, and ignore the control schemes. last I check, the Wii pushes far fewer polygons than the PS3, but the fancy controls make it sell a whole lot better, and the DS is underpowered as compared to the PSP, but still outsells it by a large margin. I think Carmack and Jobs both have that in mind [wink]

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

The Wii inovation is to bring gamming to the masses in a low cost platform with relaltively decent performance. It also pushes inovative methods for human/computer interfaces ( ie the wii controller and wii fit board, etc.. ), that makes it more accessible to novice/non-computer literate people. Intrestingly enough, even the hard core consoles will attact casual gamers if they release inovative/compelling human/computer interface solutions ( see RockBand and their like ). Perhaps this is also a major reason for the iPhones success (inovative touch interface?).

-ddn
Quote:Original post by zacaj

Polygons / sec don't give a fair comparison, because the powervr chip in iPhone is using tile based rendering. I

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement