What the best method to make interface for map editor?

Started by
5 comments, last by MJP 15 years, 3 months ago
Hi, currently I am working for my school's project on the development of some sort of general-purpose world editor. Since I am required to implement the terrain generation part using specified algorithm, I coded the terrain rendering directly using directX, and not using any graphical engine What kind of method can I use to make the user interface for this map editor? From internet, I found some using win32 API and also MFC, but not sure what is the best to use in this case. Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Advertisement
Win32 is generally too low-level for real use in a GUI app...you can use it to accomplish what you want, but it generally takes too long (especially since you'll end up making C++ wrappers for lots of things, at least if you're using C++). MFC is a relic from olden times...I recommend staying away from it.

.NET and Windows Forms are tools of choice these days. All you need to do is make simple managed wrappers for your native classes using C++/CLI, and then you can write your whole front-end in C# and have it work with your wrappers for your graphical components.
if you are making 2d map editor. My open source editor might be a source for your reference. It was built on .NET 2.0 using c#.
click here
www.dannylum.com/games_projects.html - My Game Projectswww.dannylum.com/D2DProject - My Open Source 2D Map Editor
Hi, thanks dannielum. But I am making 3d map editor.

MJP, could you elaborate more detail how do I can create this wrapper class to link my C# interface with directX application? Thanks
edwin you'll want to check out the MSDN documentation on C++ Interop. There's also a very simple example that demonstrates how to make a managed wrapper for a native class.

You should also be able to find some resources by searching google for "managed wrapper", or "managed wrapper C++".
Seeing as this is not in for beginners and also to see what other think of the method, personally I feel it is a hack which could trip you up, there is an article on the Visual C++ team blog.
Quote:Original post by CmpDev
Seeing as this is not in for beginners and also to see what other think of the method, personally I feel it is a hack which could trip you up, there is an article on the Visual C++ team blog.

Wow, what a hack! But a very neat hack, if I do say so myself. [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement