C/C++... So lost

Started by
28 comments, last by DevFred 15 years, 3 months ago
I have just begun attempting to learn C... previously I learned Blitz Basic and GML so I know the basics of programming. but I am so lost with this C. Its so foriegn seeming.... I dont even know what questions to ask. I have no clue how all these data types effect the program or how to make an actual program with all of this confusion much less how i would make a game.. Maybe someone could help guide my learning in a way or someone could put themselves out there for me like someone I can chat with on MSN messenger when i need some help or something. I really want to learn C. Im getting sick of beating around the bush learning all these other languages that have no portability. Thanks in advance -Auxiusvorg
Advertisement
First, decide whether you want to learn C or C++ - or even consider other languages like Python. C and C++ are superficially similar, but you use radically different idioms in each language.

Other than that, the trick is to start small. Find a book (you can find recommendations by using the search feature in the top right) and try following the chapters, in particular doing the exercises. The point of the exercises is to present you with a problem that you can tackle with your incomplete knowledge of the language.
I used "Ivor Horton's beginning visual C++ 2005" to learn C++. It is rather detailed and makes it rather easy to learn.
Note to community: There really should be a sticky in this forum giving overviews of language advantages, pitfalls, complexities etc.

Now to the topic; use C++ unless you have reason to go C, I'm not even going to mention C again :p, maybe you are and you just got mixed up, in which case you probably want to read up on the differences some more, you do have reading material for the subject, right? C++ is very complex you will need reference material and alot of it :) I have a basic reference book, only really covers the basic stuff, and its 750 pages :o.

Consider C#, I do seem recommend it alot in here, but it really is quite good, you will be moving along with it a lot fast than you will with C++.

There is Python and others but I have no knowledge of these so someone else will have to recommend those :p
Innovation not reiterationIf at any point I look as if I know what I'm doing don't worry it was probably an accident.
Quote:Original post by Guthur
Note to community: There really should be a sticky in this forum giving overviews of language advantages, pitfalls, complexities etc.

Stickies are problematic, new information (to the initial post) can only be added by the original poster or a moderator (usually the same person). Why not just provide a link to our wiki page on getting started?

The choice of language is overrated - it is more important to start than look for the perfect language (hint: there is no such thing). That said, there are certainly languages that form an impediment to learning and progress, and I would rate C and C++ as extremely bad beginner languages.
Cool, I didn't even know there was a wiki, :$

Definitely once you get your feet wet with programming jumping from one language to the other is not much of a big deal. Its just you can quite easily drown in the C/C++ pool, its all deep end :p
Innovation not reiterationIf at any point I look as if I know what I'm doing don't worry it was probably an accident.
Well Im wanting to learn C++. And I have "C the complete reference 2nd edition" wich covers C++ & ansi C. It is about 800 pages long... so I have the reference part now.. but where do I start?? Because I am going to learn C++ , even if it takes me 8 years.. or more. I need to start somewhere.
Wiki C++ book

The quality isn't super; but maybe try the exercises at the bottom of that page, don't expect too much from them. I done a quick review and they seem passable as programming warmups, I just feel you need a few set tasks to get your teeth into, a reference book like you have is essential but unfortuately not a great learning tool. If anyone knows any issues with these please post.

Maybe there is some other better resources, I only did a quick google for 'C++ programming exercises'.
this seems like it will get me started.. Thank you much!
I will post a reply if I need further help. THank you to everyone who replied.
Use your existing knowledge to your advantage. When I first started learning C++, I was relying on all of my C knowledge to write it, then expanding little by little. Similarly, when learning C, I used my knowledge of Ada95 (lol) to help me draw parallels between the languages. If you already know at least one language then the hardest part is over, just port your knowledge to another.

And yes, start small. Look for tutorials on writing simple applications that take some input, process it, then produce an output. Expand your program; loops, conditions, arrays and pointers will all follow.

edit: Whoops, didn't see your post above ;) good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement