[java] Is it feasible to build Tile Base Game Engine using Java ?

Started by
6 comments, last by Funblocker 15 years, 2 months ago
Hey pal, It would be great if you give your suggestions and ideas on Java script Tile base game engine. You know.. with click to walk (or keyboard), inventory, grab items, talk to people, exp, levels, etc. Any Good Ways, any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Eric Paul
Advertisement
With Java, yes.
With &#106avascript</i>, no.
I had a tile based Poke'mon clone going for a while in &#106avascript/html. It got hideous. The code is messy, the load time is slow, it act's different on different browsers, bleh bleh bleh.

Do as ^ says, Java all the way baby. Java is powerful, and once you make the game if you have it in an applet it can go into a web-browser much cleaner. And amatuers can't steal your code, cuz it's compiled versus a .js file.
You can definitely do that kind of thing with &#106avascript (note that this is *not* the same thing as Java), but if you're planning on something complicated, then it's probably best to use a more structured programming language.
I tried making a simple tile engine in &#106avascript once. It is possible, but as someone already said, the code is very messy and hard to organize/maintain, and it takes some hacking to get it to work with all browsers.
Quote:Original post by Shakedown
With Java, yes.
With &#106avascript</i>, no.<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br><br>Seconded. &#106avascript doesn't have much to do with Java in the first place, anyway.<br><br>In Java, it is very feasible. I've successfully done it a few times, and am currently doing it again, in my everyday job as a mobile games developer. And that's not even JavaSE, but JavaME...
If it's web-based, Java or Flash.

It's possible in &#106avascript, and it does exist (I saw it a week ago), but you should be a very experienced web developer before you attempt that. It's not like most platforms where beginner code with suffice. You need to know what you're doing, and even then it's going to be an uncomfortable workaround.
We currently have a project underway using a 3D Java based engine of our own design that will be tile based. Check it out here.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=522625

Happy Reading
Funblocker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement