Capturing WM_PAINT messages

Started by
12 comments, last by Sp00n00n 15 years, 2 months ago
Seems subclassing can solve my problem. I'm a newbie on this. Could your guys send some sample code or some descriptions on how to do that?

Thanks a lot!
Advertisement
If you inject a DLL into another process, you can do it, as long as the DLL contains everything (the new WndProc). You can write a wrapper WndProc that communicates with the main app, but that will probably HORRIBLY degrade performance.

Steps for injecting:

- Get the proper security privlidges to mess with the target process
- VirtualAllocEx to allocate an area for a string
- WriteProcessMemory to copy a string from your process into that virtual memory
- CreateRemoteThread to start the "LoadLibrary" procedure and pass the string address as the parameter.
- BAM! Your DLL loads and does anything it wants within the target process.
Quote:Original post by Nypyren
If you inject a DLL into another process, you can do it, as long as the DLL contains everything (the new WndProc). You can write a wrapper WndProc that communicates with the main app, but that will probably HORRIBLY degrade performance.

Steps for injecting:
- blabla...

No, it has nothing to do with remote subclassing.

The problem I had with SetWindowsHookEx, was that it was only passed messages sent by SendMessage, which is not how the vast majority of WM_PAINT messages are sent to a message loop by Windows. To avoid flickering you need to inject a dll into the remote process using the method someone stated above, and capture messages by subclassing each window you want to draw on(or an entire class, typically by creating a hidden window and using SetSubClass, unfortunately this only affect subsequently created Windows). Performance dies quite bad with this solution, but I can't think of any better ones. When communicating with the main app, try to use PostMessage as appose to SendMessage wherever possible, as this will reduce some strain on the IPC.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement