Starting carrier

Started by
1 comment, last by KulSeran 15 years, 3 months ago
I'm trying to plan how I'm going to progress carrier wise into the field of Game programing and a little stumbling block has gotten in my way. I'm in college and have been looking at local Software Engineering openings and they ALL require years of experience. There is nothing like internships or anything that will help me get that needed years of experience. This is also not the first time I have checked. What do you think I should try to do once I have the college down, to get the professional experience?
Advertisement
Write code.

Do some work on an open-source project or something like that. Get some experience on a project larger than a class assignment.

Read code, lots of code. Modify it and learn how it works. Look at different ways of structuring code, especially on large projects.

Learn a few different languages if you can, beyond just an intro course - understand how they work and the different models of programming - it'll help you learn to think about programming outside the structure imposed by a particular language.

Write code. Lots of code. Classes won't teach you to program, they'll only help you learn.
From my experience, most companies look at lots of stuff when considering for a position.

1) They count years in college against the "years of experience". They may weigh in much less than job experience, but it does show a level of dedication and knowledge. Employers understand this fact.

2) Show some dedication. Get together some of your best work game demo, graphics demo, tool, mod, art, movies, sounds, etc. Showcase the best you can do. Show that you have hobbies outside of programming, but that you take initiative outside class to make code. If you can, show that you've made something good with a small group of people, as team skills are a must.

3) This is just my experience of talking with other people at other jobs(not always programming). If they want someone with 2 years experience, they might be willing to go lower down the chain. If they want 4 years experience and a shipped title, they probably need someone with proven skill in some specific field, and can't afford to have a rookie at the wheel. If they want 6+ years there is a good chance they already picked the guy they want. The job offer is up because they want to advertise, their policy requires them to advertise, just in case, or because a perpetual job offer means that when they do start hiring they have a good pool of people to pick from.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement