Voodoo chipset doing OpenGL via MiniGL ... How?

Started by
7 comments, last by PyroMeistar 22 years, 10 months ago
I''m currently working on my own game engine (called Avangion) featuring OpenGL for 2D and 3D display. Thanks to Nehe''s tutorials who got me in the wonderful world of OpenGL programming. (I was still using Windows GDI and a cheasy software 3D engine I made and it was WAY TO SLOW AND UGLY!!!...) But now, I have a new problem... I have 2 display adapter. My primary one is a ATI Rage PRO Turbo and my secondary one is a souped up Diamond Monster Voodoo 2. My Rage PRO can display a 3D cube easily but when it comes to a complex 3D world, I can smell smoke coming out of my computer... (Just to say it is way to slow). My Voodoo 2 can support OpenGL via the MiniGL driver used in Quake 2 and it''s derivates. It plays very smoothly (maybe not as smoothly as a Geforce 3 tough...) How is it possible to use MiniGL and full OpenGl together?
Advertisement
go here: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article941.asp
Even simplier than that, how to support Voodoo chipset (as secondary display adapter) with OpenGL.
Thanks for the tip kvh but whenever I try to execute the example code given with that tutorial, it crashes my cpu!
well, if it''s just for testing purposes or personal use:

go to WINDOWS\SYSTEM and copy 3DFX32V2.DLL into your executable''s directory, then rename it to opengl32.dll (the 3dfx logo should appear if everything is working)

remember:

your program will only be accelerated while running in fullscreen-mode, the card will try to switch to fullscreen wether you are running in fullscreen mode or not, so DON''T use windowed mode
Thanks for the tip!

But unfortunatly, it doesn''t work properly... The problem is due to the fact that there is a missing exportation to glu32.dll. Do I need to rename another 3dfx*.dll file to glu32.dll?

Also, I tried to rename 3fxvgl.dll to opengl32.dll. The 3dfx logo appear but afterward, the screen stay black...

Thanks again for helping me!
You need newest drivers for Voodoo 2, i think, they are from Creative - even if you have Diamond. And with this drivers it should work. It worked for my friend, who also has Ati Rage and Dimond monster 2.
I finally got it to work! Thanks to all of you!
Another stupid question, how do you link the "release" version of an appplication in VC++ 6.0?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement