The ten game design tags you should never use!

Started by
75 comments, last by Telastyn 15 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by loufoque

Do you really want to be just a marine among thousands on the battlefield, your life being unimportant and thus making you expandable?

Yes, that would be awesome. It's one of the reasons I liked Resistance so much. There were several levels where you felt like just another marine in a huge battle.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Codeka
Quote:Original post by Dex Jackson
Quite a lot of them just research into what is popular and will also sell well

I'm not saying for the ones that like to use Fail, Epic Fail or Ancient Fail as expressions, that they are indeed Fails, they are just the same or similar experiences as other games have come out with originally.

What definition of "fail" are you using that includes things that "sell well"? Selling well is the opposite of failure.

What definition of success are you using that includes things even if they only sell well? Selling well isn't proof of anything, by that logic cigarettes are a great success.

Maybe there should be a "ten argument tags you should never use!" thread, but it's evident some terms need to be defined. Success can (and does) mean a lot more than "Sold x million copies." How satisfied are your customers? It's a two way deal. If they've given you money for a cliche and overused plot, story, and set of game play mechanics, I'd wager they don't find the transaction very successful after they've played through the first hour of your title. They're giving you money for something, if your game is less enjoyable to them than the next thing they could've spent that money on all you've succeeded in doing is effectively swindling someone out of a chunk of their paycheck. Maybe the economic crunch will make this more apparent to some (Not all that likely, what with the Entertainment industry being recession resistant), but catering to the status quo in a market is akin to slash and burn farming. There's a difference between "tried and true" and "let's run this shit into the ground!"

Besides this, look at how successful all the games copying, say, World of Warcraft have been - in any sense of the word. It's funny how despite how much even the financially successful titles have had to innovate people still seem to think success, in all senses and terms, is based on copying them to the extent permissible by law. It might not kill you to try and branch out. Besides, the problems with most of the things the OP listed is that the represent plot and character cliches borrowed (or stolen) from other fiction without significant creative thought applied. Their implementation tends to be hollow and bad storytelling. That's the problem with cliches. It's not as if there's some magical stigma attached to them, people just tend to use them to avoid doing real work.
::FDL::The world will never be the same
WoW forces me to pay to play..... and that sucks.

Yes, I have no idea what this thread is about.
Quote:Original post by Nytehauq
Quote:Original post by Codeka
Quite a lot of them just research into what is popular and will also sell well

I'm not saying for the ones that like to use Fail, Epic Fail or Ancient Fail as expressions, that they are indeed Fails, they are just the same or similar experiences as other games have come out with originally.

What definition of "fail" are you using that includes things that "sell well"? Selling well is the opposite of failure.

What definition of success are you using that includes things even if they only sell well? Selling well isn't proof of anything, by that logic cigarettes are a great success.

Quote:Success can (and does) mean a lot more than "Sold x million copies."

Wrong! (No, of course it's not wrong) Right, with the current climate for the Entertainment industry (includes "All" "Entertainment", i.e. stuff that those under 18 yrs shouldn't be looking at without knowing how to delete their browsing history *Has a bit of a chuckle and then resumes "serious" face*), one of the primary goals for all C-grade, some B-grade and a few A-grade game publishers and developers is to make as much money as possible from one of their well-established game series, or come up with a slight twist on another's ideas and cash in on it by changing the name and a few other minor details so that they can avoid obvious "legal" matters- i.e. mass lawsuit. Pretty much it's been that way since around 2004/2005, if you think about it a bit (I know I have and now my head hurts a bit *blackout for five secs and then comes back*).

Quote:How satisfied are your customers? It's a two way deal. If they've given you money for a cliche and overused plot, story, and set of game play mechanics, I'd wager they don't find the transaction very successful after they've played through the first hour of your title. They're giving you money for something, if your game is less enjoyable to them than the next thing they could've spent that money on all you've succeeded in doing is effectively swindling someone out of a chunk of their paycheck.

To game publishers and game developers (especially C-grade developers), this actually doesn't mean anything to them. If there's one thing you can learn from reading articles and blogs and the like, it's that ethics in game development and publishing don't apply in the slightest. Even companies like Valve, Ubisoft and Epic don't actually care, no matter what interviews you read online or in trade magazines.

BTW, the last part is not a "Fight the Man, cripple the establishment" statement. So don't get all Rage Against The Machine on me
-----------------------------Check out my blog at:http://eccentricasperger.blogspot.com/
Quote:Original post by homer_3
Quote:Original post by loufoque

Do you really want to be just a marine among thousands on the battlefield, your life being unimportant and thus making you expandable?

Yes, that would be awesome. It's one of the reasons I liked Resistance so much. There were several levels where you felt like just another marine in a huge battle.

I actually love games like this. Being just another soldier in a huge battle removes the disbelief that comes from one guy slaughtering entire armies and single handedly defeating the enemy, with a few marines to act as visual effects when some huge baddie rips through a wall killing a dozen with ease. (and then subsequently dieing without dealing too much damage to you.)
This thread has been quite taxing for me to read, and reiterates the importance of concise writting when conveying one's thoughts. If my experience has taught me anything, it's that the different mesh of themes and genres involved with a game are such that for one to accurately judge a game, it must be done on an individual basis. Sure, a game might include some cliche that similar games are rife with, but the ability of the game to be entertaining is more often than not decoupled from this aspect of the design.

A relatively successful (read: sold well) game can be found that fits into each of the tropes Dex has provided. Limiting a design to avoid an arbitrary listing of settings and/or plot elements for the sake of completely avoiding them appears to be less effective than adding a twist of some sort and allowing those concepts to be viewed in a new light. To say that these tropes may have been overused may be true to some extent, but often they can help to bring a level of familiarity to the game that bodes well for the player/consumer. So writting them off completely may be as much of a folly as using them in providing a completely generic experience.

Really, it doesn't make sense to limit ideas if you feel you can pull them off and provide the player with a unique experience, relative to what's already out there...

Quote:Original post by WavinatorWhat about being a PhD tromping around in an oversized hazardous environment suit?
Sounds boring. Dude with lots of armor and a huge arsenal of guns killing aliens and evil space marines sounds somewhat familiar.
Quote:Does anyone even remember the characters and names of the inhabitants of Quake 2?
Can anyone actually tell me what the story is about in half-life 2?

I would actually argue that the story in the game gets away from the actual game. Half-life's story could be shorten down to "you versus aliens and evil space-marines", ninja gaiden to "kill those evil demons" and Call of duty to "kill nazis". Seeing all the Xiao Xiao flicks provides me with more satisfaction than movies with great story, say "the Godfather", "Schindlers list" or "The good, the bad and the ugly". Note that I'm not enjoying myself when I watch a good move or playing Grim fandango, but I get more enjoyment out of a good action game with generic (or no) story.
Call me childish and stupid but I'm actually looking forward to river tam beats up everyone. When I want to enjoy a good story, I read a book.

/rant
The ten game design tags you should never use:

Not in any real order, just as I can remember them. (Do realise, that if you post back saying one of the them is wrong, then you always fail in everything you do. Nah, I'm only joshing ya... Almost everything thing!)

10. Elves, Eleven Kingdom, Ancient Elves

9. Gnomes as inventors and scientist in both high and low fantasy lands and realms (Last I checked, science and magic don't go hand in hand. Much like Evolution and Creationism).

8. Special Forces, Black Ops, Spec Ops

7. Human race's extinction or near extinction because of a silly little cataclysmic event

6. Mutants, Mutated Animals

5. George's Romero style Zombies (Left 4 Dead included; that game gets really boring after the first play, don't you agree?)

4. You are a Mercenay, Freelancer etc...

3. Ancient Races, period

2. Amnesia

1. You have no moral compass or ethics, choose your path: Good, Neutral or Evil.

I may not be much of a game designer, but I disagree with this as a game player. I'm sorry, but I WANT games with these things. I think many other people want games with these things. I think games with these things will probably sell well, all other things being equal.

That being said, if you come up with something new that grabs my attention I'm all for it, but don't avoid/add things for the simple sake of trying to be original. That's a sure path to failure.
[size="1"]Try GardenMind by Inspirado Games !
All feedback welcome.
[s]
[/s]

[size="1"]Twitter: [twitter]Owen_Inspirado[/twitter]
Facebook: Owen Wiggins

[size="1"]Google+: Owen Wiggins

Quote:Original post by sirGustav
Quote:Original post by WavinatorWhat about being a PhD tromping around in an oversized hazardous environment suit?
Sounds boring. Dude with lots of armor and a huge arsenal of guns killing aliens and evil space marines sounds somewhat familiar.

Sure it sounds boring, but it's that departure from the normal G.I. Joe stereotype that makes all the difference in the tone and feel of the entire game.

Quote:
Quote:Does anyone even remember the characters and names of the inhabitants of Quake 2?
Can anyone actually tell me what the story is about in half-life 2?

"The cryptic G-Man, who has somehow become the keeper of Gordon Freeman after his spectacular escape from Black Mesa and the world of Xen, inserts him into city 17 with little explanation as to why or what he's supposed to do. Shortly after arrival, Freeman runs afoul of armored goons known as Civil Protection. About to be shipped off to the notorious prison camp called Nova Prospekt, Gordon is luckily saved by his old pal, Barney.

It seems that while Gordon has been gone the Earth has fallen apart. Doctor Breen, once project director and Gordon's boss at Black Mesa, has turned quisling and now rules as proxy leader for some mysterious aliens. It seems that under Breen both humans and the folk of Xen have fallen on hard times and now live in totalitarian squalor.

Fortunately for Earth, Freeman is the "right man in the wrong place." Barney has contacts in the underground resistance movement. If Freeman can get to his old associate, Doctor Kliener, they can use the teleporter he's developed to..."

and I could go on for awhile. Same with Halo. Not saying these stories are great, but what the hell was there to remember about the evil whatever in Quake 1, or the poorly imagined Strogg in Quake 2?

"Dude with lots of armor and a huge arsenal of guns killing aliens and evil space marines" is crap story and certainly crap motivation and has been done to death. When Half-Life first came out one of the things that made it so noteworthy was the fact that they blended the story directly into the gameplay, making it a fusion of interesting events and unexpected surprises.

In comparison, Quake gave you rooms filled with monsters or switches, much like Doom. It was cool for awhile, but it got old really quick.

Quote:
I would actually argue that the story in the game gets away from the actual game. Half-life's story could be shorten down to "you versus aliens and evil space-marines", ninja gaiden to "kill those evil demons" and Call of duty to "kill nazis".

I suppose you can arbitrary compress anything, but really, the devil's in the details. I think the context matters, and most games these days change the context even if they keep the activities fairly consistent. You might be running and gunning all the way through Half-Life 2, but part of it is in the service of trying to rescue Eli Vance, or get the hell out of Ravenholm, or to lead the (godawfully stupid) revolutionaries against the Overwatch.

Quote:
When I want to enjoy a good story, I read a book.

Hahaha, that's been my argument for ages-- however, I use it not to assert that games shouldn't have/don't need story, but so that story doesn't get in the way of gameplay.

Save for tech demos and novel gameplay, I actually do want some work put into the worldbuilding in my games. I don't get much enjoyment out of unlocking new content, competing online (anymore) or being rated with X, Y or Z achievements. I'm getting older. I've been playing games since the Atari days. I'd actually like games not to treat me as if I'm a hormone addled teen who responds only to big breasts and shader bloom.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Quake III was a far better designed multiplayer/competitive game than UT. The pacing of battle, the balance of weapons, the tactical implications of movement... all better in Q3.

UT far too often ended up favoring spammers and campers a bit too much for my tastes.

Q1 was indeed a poor game (except for the pace, which was good but inherited from doom), but it was the first to allow joining a game mid-way which is just essential to FPS play. And it was one of the first to really allow modification/extension, which allowed people to make good games in the engine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement