Low-poly character modeling?

Started by
2 comments, last by zer0wolf 15 years, 2 months ago
I've scoured the internet for tutorials on it, but haven't come up with much. What does seem to come up a lot is converting high-poly models to low-poly models. Is this how low-poly modeling is done nowadays?
Advertisement
How it works is:
You model the high poly character first. You then use zbrush, or any other program similar to that, to get all the details from the high poly mesh to create, pretty much, a texture map. You then apply that map to the low poly charcter.

This is the MOST efficient method for game-ready models. It uses less polygons without compromising the overall quality and look of the in-game character.

Hope I was a help.
*yup. yup.*
Quote:Original post by ChaosDreamer
You then apply that map to the low poly charcter.

This is what I'm wondering about. I know how zbrush is used to generate normal maps, but how is the low-poly character itself modeled? I've seen very few videos on directly modeling low-poly characters, so I can't help but think this isn't the way it's done? Are they caged around high-poly models? Do people try to drop the vertex counts directly?
You create a base (acceptable run-time poly count) model first. You then take that model and start adding detail by subdividing and pushing/pulling verts (this can be done in Max, XSI, Maya, Silo, whatever or imported into a tool like Zbrush or Mudbox, which is becoming the norm). A normal map is generated from that detailed model and applied to the base model. For generating character LODs you'll manually collapse verts to keep the general look while lowering poly counts.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement