Networking concept

Started by
0 comments, last by NQ 15 years ago
Hi There, im busy programming a 2d action multiplayergame. Everything is send via UDP I just tried sending movement commands to the server and the server sends back the position etc... But it seems to be a stupid solution, because the movement starts much to late! Im sending the commands like this what brings up another problem: if(action["GORIGHT"]==1 and Playeraction[Self]["GORIGHT"]==0) then client:send("GORIGHT#1#") end if(action["GORIGHT"]==0 and Playeraction[Self]["GORIGHT"]==1) then client:send("GORIGHT#0#") end action is the movementstate of your own player. Playeraction is the movementstate the server has send back. I know that this is the wrong solution but i don't know whether it's ^^ this code of just sending the commands if client thinks the server has wrong state OR the concept of just sending the commands itself without position is wrong. What are professional game-networking concepts? Where can I read more about this?
Advertisement
I think I understand your problem, even though it was loosely defined. But I recommend that you search these forums for the answers you seek. Just choose some likely search terms.

Here's some things I found that might provide partial answers to your question:
Link 1
Link 2

Those, and other you find if you search, might provide further clues to the solution to your problem.
----------------------~NQ - semi-pro graphical artist and hobbyist programmer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement