Help consolidating my levelling system into a more efficient form

Started by
2 comments, last by ravengangrel 14 years, 11 months ago
I'd like to make a levelling system past 2, and I know there is an efficient way to do it. Currently my code looks like this, and while it is completely functional until level 2, I can see that it is not the most efficient way to make a levelling system. Here is my code: EDIT: I learned how to include a source window, so I'm doing that:

#include <stdio.h>
     int a;
     int monhp=25;
     int xp=0;
     void monbattle()
     {
               while (monhp >0)
     {
     printf ("The monsters hp is %d!\n",monhp);
     printf ("How much do you want to attack for?\n");
     scanf ("%d",&a);
     monhp-=a;
     printf("The kobold's hp is now %d\n",monhp);
     }
     printf("You have slain the Kobold! You gain 10 xp!\n");
     xp+=10;
     printf ("You now have %d xp!\n",xp);
     monhp+=25;
     }

main ()
{
     while(xp<50)
      {
      monbattle();
      }
printf("You have levelled to 2!");
scanf("%d",&a);

}

I'd like to put the levelling system into some kind of function, structure, or possibly array. I am currently refreshing my knowledge on pointers because I seem to remember somehow pointers can be used to do this.. it's just fuzzy. Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Mr_Derek
I'd like to make a levelling system past 2, and I know there is an efficient way to do it. Currently my code looks like this, and while it is completely functional until level 2, I can see that it is not the most efficient way to make a levelling system. Here is my code:
EDIT: I learned how to include a source window, so I'm doing that:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

I'd like to put the levelling system into some kind of function, structure, or possibly array. I am currently refreshing my knowledge on pointers because I seem to remember somehow pointers can be used to do this.. it's just fuzzy. Any suggestions?

Instead of

while(xp < 50)    {            [...]    }

You can do
    int expLvl = 1;    const int MAX_LEVEL = 7;    int expNeeded[] = {50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, [...]}    while (expLvl < MAX_LEVEL)    {        while(xp < expNeeded[expLvl - 1])        {                [...]        }        expLvl++;        printf (...)    }

It could be cleaner to make a function which calculates the experience needed for a particular level. For example, in FallOut:

int ExpNeededForNextLevel(int CurrentLevel){    int ExpNeeded = CurrentLevel * 1000;    if (CurrentLevel > 1)        ExpNeeded += ExpNeededForNextLevel(CurrentLevel - 1);    return ExpNeeded;}int main(){    [...]    int expLvl = 1;    while (true)    {        while(xp < ExpNeededForNextLevel(expLvl))        {                [...]        }        expLvl++;        [...]    }  // Infinite loop, never goes out of here}
Hi, this is what I've done so far.
#include <stdio.h>     int a;     int monhp=25;     int xp;     int lvl;     //monbattle     void monbattle()     {               while (monhp >0)     {     printf ("The monsters hp is %d!\n",monhp);     printf ("How much do you want to attack for?\n");     scanf ("%d",&a);     monhp-=a;     printf("The kobold's hp is now %d\n",monhp);     }     printf("You have slain the Kobold! You gain 10 xp!\n");     xp+=10;     printf ("You now have %d xp!\n",xp);     monhp+=25;     }//monbattlestop//lvlscr          void lvlscr()     {     printf("You have levelled to %d!\n",lvl+2);lvl+=1;monbattle();     }//lvlscrstop//enginevoid engine(){          switch(lvl)     {     case 0:          while(xp<50){monbattle();}lvlscr();     case 1:          while(xp<150&&xp>50){                                        monbattle();}lvlscr();}}//enginestop     main (){engine();scanf("%d",&a);     }

I used the case method for my levelling system, although I am sure there is a more simple way to do this. Any advice?

Specifically, could I form
while(xp<150&&xp>50){                                        monbattle();}lvlscr();

and
while(xp<50){monbattle();}lvlscr();

into one function somehow? That would be amazing and save alot of finger soreness.

Ok, I found a way to do it, but it only works for levels past 1, because if it's 1(0 in the array value) it sets the array value to -1, which there is no value for.

#include <stdio.h>     int a;     int monhp=25;     int xp;     int lvl;     int xpneeded[] = {50,100,150,200,250,300};     //monbattle     void monbattle()     {               while (monhp >0)     {     printf ("The monsters hp is %d!\n",monhp);     printf ("How much do you want to attack for?\n");     scanf ("%d",&a);     monhp-=a;     printf("The kobold's hp is now %d\n",monhp);     }     printf("You have slain the Kobold! You gain 10 xp!\n");     xp+=10;     printf ("You now have %d xp!\n",xp);     monhp+=25;     }//monbattlestop//lvlscr          void lvlscr()     {     printf("You have levelled to %d!\n",lvl+2);lvl+=1;monbattle();     }//lvlscrstop//enginevoid engine(){while(xp<xpneeded[lvl]&&xp>xpneeded[lvl-1]){monbattle();}lvlscr();}//enginestop     main (){engine();scanf("%d",&a);     }

If I can get it to work for level one, I've got it!

[Edited by - Mr_Derek on May 3, 2009 1:23:14 PM]
    [...]    int xpneeded[] = {0, 50,100,150,200,250,300};    [...]    while(xp<xpneeded[lvl+1] && xp>=xpneeded[lvl])    [...]

BTW, you should initialize your variables (xp, lvl,...)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement