To progammers who suck at art

Started by
10 comments, last by blewisjr 14 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Dom_152
So you're a games programmer, you REALLY bad at making 2D and 3D art and want to spend as little time messing with that side of things as possible and you have this great idea for something. So you start to write some code but you come to a point where you really need some art for it. What do you do? DO you just endure the various art packages until you get something that vaguely resembles what you want? Do you try to recruit real artists either friends or otherwise? Or do you just try and get by with hard coding basic shapes like cubes, spheres etc. to represent whatever it is you need?

Art isn't an easy task by any means, just as programming can be to artists, both of them do not relate skill wise. I suggest using place holder art until your game is completed. Once the game is finished I would strongly suggest in either investing time into learning 2D / 3D art, and expect several months of hard work, or if this doesn't interest you, pay someone to work on your art work. You can also post in the help wanted forum that your game is completed but needs final art work.

To be honest, hard coding basic shapes might get you by for now, but in the end you need something more defined than a cube or a sphere.

You'll be better off in the long run if you can learn 2D and 3D graphics yourself. It's helped me majorly and allows me to express my own visual graphics for my games based on how I visioned them.
Advertisement
And don't forget about digital cameras. One of the reasons a lot of game look as good as they do now is that they are using digital photography modified by shaders for textures. That is the real secret behind why Crysis and Age of Conan look so damn good. the leaves and plant life and ground textures and rock textures etc... started as digital photographs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement