Tiny audio library

Started by
7 comments, last by VanillaSnake21 14 years, 11 months ago
I need a very small preferably portable audio library, basic requirements: 1) Ability to play more then 1 sound at once 2) Be very small and portable Thanks.

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

Advertisement
I've never tried it myself but maybe mini fmod is for you?
Use Win32 api (MM)
"portable" has no sense, as Windows owns 98% of market (client side in enterprise)
Unless you're programming for:
- Sony consoles and handhelds;
- Nintendo consoles and handhelds;
- Apple computers;
- Mobile phones;
- iPhone;
- PDAs and other smart-phones;
- etc.

Many of these outnumber Windows PCs that are used for gaming. The 'market' is entirely dependent on what you're making and who you want to sell to.
Thanks guys, actually I just tried OpenAL, it's not really a library but I was able to build basic load, play, stop functions, and it has multiple voices. Too bad there's very little new tutorials on this, I was forced to use some depricated functions...

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

OpenAL has deprecated functions?
Quote:Original post by VanillaSnake21
I need a very small preferably portable audio library, basic requirements:

1) Ability to play more then 1 sound at once
2) Be very small and portable

Thanks.
SDL + SDL_mixer, perhaps?
Quote:Original post by george135
Use Win32 api (MM)
"portable" has no sense, as Windows owns 98% of market (client side in enterprise)
This isn't a particularly helpful suggestion, IMO. There are many platforms other than Windows that have large user bases (iPhone, for example), and many reasons why one might want to develop applications for one or more of these platforms.
Quote:Original post by bubu LV
He might be referring to functions from the OpenAL Utility Toolkit (most of the OpenAL tutorials I've seen use these functions for loading of audio files).
Quote:Original post by jyk
Quote:Original post by bubu LV
He might be referring to functions from the OpenAL Utility Toolkit (most of the OpenAL tutorials I've seen use these functions for loading of audio files).

Yeah the alutLoadWAVFile() and others are depricated, I believe they replaced it with CWaves class or something.

P.S I actually downloaded SDL, but for some reasons these libraries don't offer any docs whatsoever on how to use them. Also heard that Bass was really good, but unfortunately those guys want you to decipher their cryptic samples instead of writing a decent tutorial. (And you can imagine what google retrieves when you search for "Bass tutorials" - could have at least made a less ambiguous name...)

Basically OAL is perfect, very light code and gives me just what I need.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement