help

Started by
9 comments, last by DaveMS 14 years, 10 months ago
It's possible if your game allows it to be possible.

I once made an unreal tournament map just like that actually - a bridge over a lava pit controlled by a switch in a control room over looking it. Press the switch and the bridge lowers into the lava, along with anyone unlucky enough to be stood on it.

But now i'm going off-topic.

I think having management skills is good, but if your going to manage a team of game developers, you need to know about game development.

You say you were a construction manager - I presume you have a working knowledge of the construction trade to have been able to do your job.... the same goes for game development.

I'm not saying you need to be an expert in all, or any, of the different game development disciplines, but you need an understanding of what each one does - programmers, artists etc, how they do it, and how it all fits together.

If you have a head for 3d modeling, maybe join one of the teams in the help wanted forum as a modeler, and get exposed to how the team works together. Maybe see if they will let you try your hand at some of the other stuff like scripting.

Once you've got some experience working in a team, and some experience of the game development cycle, you could try putting a team together yourself.

Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement