Student - Game industry

Started by
13 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by twintwix
Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
Are you sure programming is the best path for your personality and talents?
If you are intent on pursuing programming because you think you have to, then maybe you should look at all the other types of occupations in the video game industry and rethink.

I'm currently in a position where I can become almost everything, I don't lack talent in any areas of my life besides my Raptor brain (the one that does all the actions like fighting and sports). I can be artistic, philosophical, logical, emotional, psyochological, I've worked on all those aspects and I'll keep working on them all my life besides my sport skills has gone lower, I used to be able to footbal basketbal and peform gymnastics like a pro making airflips & stuff, but the value of those skills decreased as I become older, besides dancing value is increasing like Salsa but those aren't real sports? But I do push my limits alot to see what I do like and what I don't like. Thats how I get to know my self better all the time. So thats me... And no matter how many bad things I've heard about programmers it still stays an attractive profession in my eyes. Just the amount of possibilities and advanced jobs you can have as a programmer. I don't care about how programmers get critisized because I for one am not afraid of critics. I can still have a mentally+physical healthy life and become a programmer. I don't buy newest versions of cars even tho the older version of the same car is better just because I should be afraid of critics I even appreciate critics if they are valid. I'm also a person that likes to develop taste in everything like, cars, games, women, movies, food. Eventually you will know what you like and don't like. And I know that I like classic cars more then modern ones.
I've thought about becoming a:
-psychologist, I find the way that humans work outside their natural world(civilization) very interesting. How certain character traits have been blend in from barbarism to civilization. How the interaction between the 2 genders is still so very animal-like. How humor has become such an important factor in our daily lives even tho you didn't require humor to escape from a crocodile or a lion in our evolution process. Turns out that evolution-psychology was alot more for me. But still I woulden't like to make a profession out of it.
-neurologist, my dream was to create a company called Artificial Dreams that would overrun the entertainment industry since I know alot about the psychology behind entertainment like games and movies. Movies and games is really hypnosis, and hypnosis is really almost like dreaming and dreaming can be really entertaining for me besides that you forget them quick as with games and movies but then less severe since the memory is still active and hypnosis here isn't very deep, but what entertainers movie and game developers are trying to achieve is suck you in the game by creating stuff that gets your attention and creating the vibe like sound music compositions etc. This is perspective of my deep thinking philosophical mind, and hypnosis is all around you btw, its just that you mind has this defence mechanism that doesn't make you as vaulnerable to hypnosis from therapy which you would actually cooperate with the hypnotist to gain acces to you. I would actually lead this company with a master mind group of people working in harmony and me being leader with sympathy rather then dictatorship. And neurology to master the details and do my part of the job a 100%.
-astronomer well you could figure out your self how big the universe is, and now I would blow your mind if I talk about time travel and parallel universes. now this will always be a passion of mine but getting a profession that requires me to find new energy resources trough researsch I'm not interested in. I can always read the newest stuff about this subject and watch documentaries without working my but of on phsysics theories. Because I know that the job isn't important, its the desire to want to achieve something that gets you there, keep the desire in mind, nurish it, picture it everyday and you will achieve with persistence, organized planning and desire being your motivation. Like the guy trying to time travel to get back to his dad who passed away. A dead father being the motivation and the guy is close to manipulating the energy fields or something to create a worm hole. Seriously what people without talent or education have achieved trough motivation and persistence would blow your mind away. I know I will succeed on this kind of subjects alot since I have talent for it, but I would never have enough motivation to get to the top.
-physicist (this is one of my biggest talent, physics I letterly dominated this subject on school always with little learning, I compare my younger years to that of Einstein and I admired him alot. I grew up thinking the way a physicist does.

Now all this I don't care. I know sometimes being succesful is making other people do stuff, since that would be more succesful then trying everything on your own. I don't require to know everything, since I know with an academic degree I can acquire knowledge everywhere. For a master mind group to cooperate in perfect harmony thats another thing. Thats how I will achieve stuff in my life. Wether I'm a lead gamedeveloper, band leader, Professor, founder of Artificial Dreams, what ever kind of leading you can imagine. I know that becoming a good leader is learning and gaining knowledge from a good leader as a good FOLLOWER. I think I will start as a follower in the game developement world by becoming a programmer. Not just to enter the game developement world easily but also because being a programmer just sounds attractive over all. The money and easy jobs everywhere. I don't mind working behind computers for long hours at all. I prefer it actually. I love working with in huge teams from all cultures all over the world like I always imagined game developers did. But writing programs like puzzling sounds fun. I think I can even enjoy the process of debugging since I'm a very patient guy, and trying out diffrent techniques which suits me best to write making as little bugs as possible. And eventually I think even those hardware that get in touch with your senses (Artificial Dreams) in the future will require smell, sight, sound programmers. Programming is so wide. The demand for programmers will gorw only more and more. So the money I will earn is very good. And I'm also good at math and I enjoy the challenge of it. The only thing that would stop me really is if I don't have any talent whatsoever on this part, but I know I can develop talent for it anyway. But the impression I have from computer scientist or informatics thinking is how they annoy so much when people can't think logical and when they're trying to teach people stuff so simple and logical yet they can not comprehend. I found this very funny idd and I was the favorite student of that guy. I can be VERY logical. I can like annoy people by the amount of logical I can have, I can even shut down my emotions if I want to xD comes with the hard work in school. I don't think I'll have a hard time on the math side of programming, logical thinking, patience, anti-stress. Really I even have clothes of the brand "Relakz" ...when people get stressed and man or in a argues I'm always the one thats relax and puts more effort into solving the problems instead of screaming them out loud. I can always see problems easy, and I like problem solving alot. And the last thing is I can work in very long hours without breaks and without stressing alot, since I've learned that by
working my way 3 levels of normal school education up from lower secondary professional education to higher general secondary education to pre-university education(atheneum). And I was in year 3/6 when I reached atheneum, so in 1 lvl increased every single year. I've never really thought about it alot but infact this says alot more about me then I think, since people comment on it alot. And I can really learn programming if the knowledge is organized for me to gain and I don't have to search for it all the time trying to organize information my self, I hope that teaching dificult stuff like programming is being taught well and organized step by step in Computer Sciences.

So what do you think now I've described my self a little more detailed. I can picture my self working for one of the companies who have brought me so much entertainment of great value. Me being part of that is a great honor. They will be role models of my future gaming developement, but I would like to programm stuff for them once in my life. And btw thank you alot for the comment Tom sloper, I'm getting to the rest of you commenters now after this reply Sorry if for my writing skills, its kinda late here in netherlands and I'm writing as fast as I can, hehe. I'm sure you get it.

I'm not reading all that! Give it to me in a condensed version.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper

I'm not reading all that! Give it to me in a condensed version.

haha you're right, I was orienting and didn't notice the amount of text I wrote. But it helps me to write down all the orienting I've done about what I want to become in the future you know what every teenager gets trough... Because its the only thing that draws me back from this, that I might not want to become a programmer anymore later on. But I'm sure I do. Because I've been philosophizing about it alot and even my biggest passions and talents don't get me motivated enough to make a profession out of them as much as programming does. With persistence and my background I think I can become a programmer for sure. About me: don't mind to work behind a computer at all, can work long hours (background education level climb), stress free, patience, good at math, good working in teams and can be independant when solo.
Quote:Original post by Cedstick
I'd just like to throw in a little back-up Hodgeman's statement about the industry: from what I've seen in a lot of interviews and heard across the board, most people in the industry weren't formally trained in Game Design. Any general Computer Science degree should do, and would probably be recommended as they likely train you to adhere to standards and focus on more practical applications in business and science. Game Development is something you can aspire to on the side, as there plenty of resources online (look here!) As Hodgeman also said, it shows that you've got the motivation to learn and take on tasks yourself; it shows you're a go-getter.

Ye, exactly, a great follower in the industry can become a great leader. Really you need computer science as basics and the knowledge you gain from great leaders here will get you to the top and make you a great game developer your self too one day. As for succes, education isn't really much of a requirement, I know that the most succesful people on the planet began with no education or money at all. But its great it does help you not loose sight of your desire when you begin at a higher level. So if I like get closer to game dev I can stay motivated, I'm afraid that if I start somewhere else I'll loose sight of the gameing industry and just accept where I am as a regular programmer, and never enter that game dev world. I've seen stuff like this happen alot to people with big dreams. You need to surround your self with people who have the same mindset. Like gamers surround them selves with gamers, and game dev with game dev, rich people with rich people. This kind of stuff helps you picture your desires and keep you motivated. I think if I just head for regular computer science then I would get less motivated then (games technology) its all very psychological but its true seriously. people who begin on a low lvl loose sight of their dream earlier on. you should read Napoleon Hill. Succes in general is the same for people all over the world. motivation, persistence ^^

Besides I coulden't think of a better platform to launch from then CSU if I'm looking to specialize in the computer games industry.
I don't think so. I think that if you're to lose your initial drive along the way, it'll be because you've found equal interest in another area of programming (or whatever else you may be occupied with.) Honestly, there's nothing wrong with that, as long as you're interested in what you're doing :) If the drive is strong enough you should still carry that dream. Hell, the more knowledge you gain, the more you're eager to apply it. "Wow, I could probably try this now that I learned the objects with the classes and the xyz!" (yea, I'm new to this too.)
Quote:Original post by twintwix
I might not want to become a programmer anymore later on. But I'm sure I do.

Okay. My question was answered. Do you have questions that haven't been answered yet?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement