rolling an MMO network engine from open source components?

Started by
11 comments, last by hplus0603 14 years, 10 months ago
Quote:As far as I know NeL (Nevrax Library) has a steep licensing cost if you decide to make a commercial game using their library.

GPL is not a problem for a server framework. And, in fact, GPL is not *really* a problem for a MMO client, either, because almost all of the value lives in the content, rather than the client.

However, if there was a kick-ass, robust, light-weight, right-engineered MMO networking framework out there under MIT, BSD or similar license, I certainly wouldn't mind. I'm just wondering whether there's really sufficient demand and interest in such a thing to sustain such an effort. And, more importantly, are there any users out there? A framework without users will die a quick death, and/or become a poor match for actual needs.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
I'm just wondering whether there's really sufficient demand and interest in such a thing to sustain such an effort. And, more importantly, are there any users out there? A framework without users will die a quick death, and/or become a poor match for actual needs.

Indeed, whether there is demand or not is a very good question. While platforms like RealmCrafter, which provide technology of questionable quality but extremely easy content production flourish, the interest in more "serious" alternatives such as Multiverse appears to be in decline. Now, I haven't really been involved in the Multiverse community, but I believe the problems they are experiencing may very well stem from lack of updates and a substandard tool set/art pipeline.

One thing is clear: there are many, many people out there who want to make MMORPGs. Most of them, I believe, lack the technical expertise to create the actual engine (hell, who has that expertise anyway?) and therefore turn to solutions like RealmCrafter, which require no programming at all to get a really simple game up and running. Those people would probably not be attracted to a framework such as the one discussed in this thread, unless said framework could provide a level of simplicity equal to what they are using today, or have used in the past.

With that said, if the framework were well engineered and scaled well, I see no reason why professional MMO developers wouldn't adopt it in favor of commercial alternatives such as BigWorld or HeroEngine (given how expensive they tend to be). But like hplus I doubt this framework idea would appeal to the masses.
Quote:there are many, many people out there who want to make MMORPGs

Here's an example:

There are many, many people out there who want to drive a Ferrari. And, given Ferrari sales numbers versus MMO designer counts, it's about 1,000 times more likely you'll drive a Ferrari than you'll design and ship a MMO. There are other things that people may want, but can't actually do, like going to the moon, traveling around the world or writing the Great American Novel.

Now, the reason most of those people who want something don't get it, is that it's too expensive (in some sense) for them. That's not only true for the sticker price at the local Ferrari dealership, but also for the cost of actually producing and shipping a MMO. It may also be that, when they find out how much work it is to maintain a Ferrari, or write a novel, or ship a MMO, they no longer want to do it -- all they wanted was getting a few ideas into some game, without getting all the hassle involved of the full monty.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement