Is this possible Function( (string1 + string2 + string3 + int) )

Started by
8 comments, last by SiCrane 14 years, 10 months ago
What I'm trying to do is combine things as a string at the point of passing them into a function. example

std::String string1 = "Date= ";
int         day    = 1;
int         month  = 4;
int         year   = 2009;

void MyFunction( std::String );

//use it like so

MyFunction( string1 + day + " " + month + " , " + year );

// should pass in a string of "Date= 1 4, 2009"

Is this possible, maybe using a stringstream as the argument of using templates (I've never used them before) or some other way, that does require me to create the string first then just pass it in?
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
Advertisement
If I understand what you're asking:
std::stringstream sstr;sstr << string1 << day << " " << month << " , " << year;MyFunction(sstr.str());
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
If I understand what you're asking:
std::stringstream sstr;sstr << string1 << day << " " << month << " , " << year;MyFunction(sstr.str());

thats what I want to accomplish but I want it in the function so the function can take any type of argument and any combonation but use it like a string.

is this possible
Myfunction( (std::stringstream ss() << string1 << int << string2).str() );
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
The stringstream is probably the best way, as mentioned. But you can choose to wrap up that functionality into a different interface if you want.

QT's QString can be used like so:
QString date("%1/%2/%3").arg(month).arg(day).arg(year);

My engine has a similar version which operates like so:
FormatString date("%%/%%/%%") % month % day % year;

Under the hood it's really all the same thing. Go with the stringstream.
Quote:Original post by bzroom
MyFunction((std::stringstream()<<s1<<s2).str()) aught to work.

No, that requires binding an rvalue to a non-const reference, which isn't legal standard C++.

You could use boost::lexical_cast to convert values to strings and use string concatenation:
  MyFunction( string1             + boost::lexical_cast<std::string>(day)             + " "             + boost::lexical_cast<std::string>(month)            + " , "             + boost::lexical_cast<std::string>(year) );

After some experimentation i figured that out. :P
or you could overload the '+' operator and convert every possible data type to a string and do string concatenation for everything.
http://www.sharpnova.com
You could use boost::lexical_cast to convert values to strings and use string concatenation:
Or you could use boost::format, which does that for you internally...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by bzroom
MyFunction((std::stringstream()<<s1<<s2).str()) aught to work.

No, that requires binding an rvalue to a non-const reference, which isn't legal standard C++.

std::stringstream::str() returns by value (to mutate the underlying string, you have to call an overload ::str(const std::string&)), so as long as the function accepts a value or a const reference, there should be no problem with the binding. (Unless I've missed something?)

However, because the operator overload is not virtual in std::ostream, covariant return types aren't possible; so std::stringstream << whatever just returns a plain std::ostream&, which then doesn't have a .str() member. To get around this requires a surprising amount of really nasty casting.

Quote:You could use boost::lexical_cast to convert values to strings and use string concatenation

Or you could use boost::format, or roll up something similar yourself (but if you want to DIY then we're getting out of For Beginners territory).
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
std::stringstream::str() returns by value (to mutate the underlying string, you have to call an overload ::str(const std::string&)), so as long as the function accepts a value or a const reference, there should be no problem with the binding. (Unless I've missed something?)

std::ostream & operator<<(std::ostream &, const std::string &) is a non-member operator overload. std::stringstream() creates a temporary rvalue, which cannot be bound to the first argument of the operator overload.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement