Trying to learn C++ game programming, can't stay motivated.

Started by
12 comments, last by owiley 14 years, 10 months ago
The reason you're not retaining the informations is because you're really not interested in it. Not to say you're not interested in programming, but it;'s the delivery of the information that has your eyes glazing over. I'd suggest starting with Python + pygame. You'll have a graphical game up and running in aboiut a week with casual time put into it. You'll have something that has a very real result instead of 105 C++ tutorials that give you a console window.

sorry for the horrible typing: I've recently d/l IE 8 and my font is fudged. Everything is really really tiny and I can't see what I'm typing.
Advertisement
I'm not going to read this entire thread, but what really helped me back in the days was to use SDL. Even though I made lots of foolish errors and the things like that. It really got me more motivated to see something going on and learning the language that way. Then to just see.... text. Either way, don't quit and keep trying, that's the only way to achieve something :)

Good luck !
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pingux/ <-- you know you wanna see my 2D Engine which supports DirectX and OpenGL or insert your renderer here :)
Quote:Original post by Kingerthethird
Recently I've been reading through a book called "Learn C++ by making Games". I don't know if that will apply to game making though. :)

I might suggest trying to get interested in Programming without worry about the gaming aspect. If you can't get interested in programming in general, I doubt you would like game programming, there's a lot of programming involved.

Here's a link to the book. The games are kind of simple and cheesy at first, but it gets the job done.
http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Making-Games-Charles-Programming/dp/1584504552

Yeah I read that book a while back and actually posted an Amazon review to avoid the book since the author left out essential code/art for the last couple of chapters on SDL. Then again that's part of the learning and what you have to get used to if you want to make games I guess LOL dealing with broken code!
You might want to even try python/pygame, C#/XNA or Flash if you can't stay motivated long enough since they don't require as much concentration and hard work to get something up on the screen. Then if you still want to make games after that I'm sure you'll run into C++ again.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I know what you mean but don't down dos just yet. Im creating my own 3d engine and this is for fun yeah i said it fun. Right as of now im doing the core system that deal with buffering and data structures. well i need a quick way to test my code and one such way was with a dos console app. Most of my engine is libraries mean that they are some dynamic linking library or worst static library.well i could make very graphic program but that would be waste of time since im not there yet. console are fast and easy to set up. I use them for testing and some house hold things. Ok if you cant understand the console version the graphic version might just be worst. Yeah Lets not debat it, console projects are powerful because you have less to worry about in game programming. there is no need to worry about the graphics or the messaging system in win32 or better yet you dont have to worry about lost device that happens in directx. console might be boring but bare with it in the long run your logic will be sound and code will run more effiently. I made a class the other day, it was a simple string object( a class deriving from an Array class I made earlier, and it had the operation i could do on strings). Ok i had a line that held the following

int main()
{
HString mystring = "hello world";
printf("mystring is: %s\n",mystring.c_str());
return 0;
}

geuss what the output was

hello world(*8swk

in other words there was junk at the end which wasn't what i wanted. console help me see this real soon.

[Edited by - owiley on June 22, 2009 9:07:56 PM]
Bring more Pain

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement