SDL Directx 10 on Vista

Started by
4 comments, last by Twinblad3r 14 years, 10 months ago
Hi, has anyone tried SDL with direct 10 on Vista? I heard SDL uses dx 5. Would not using SDL for the window on Vista any faster? Also... Is SDL inputs quicker than DirectInput? I'm still pretty new to directx and I read there are major change between dx 9 and dx 10 but all I found on google is unified shader. Can someone briefly explain to me if there are other differences. Thanks ;D
Advertisement
SDL uses dx5 only for hardware accelerated operations on SDL_Surface. If you use 3D API like DirectX (any version) or OpenGL then it doesn't matter, because you will not be using SDL_Surface's.
On Windows, SDL will use DirectInput 3 IIRC. The last version was 8.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Thank you for the fast reply..

SDL is definitely neater for setting up the window, I wonder if there will be problems on Vista/Windows 7 or eventually...
Quote:Original post by Twinblad3r
I'm still pretty new to directx and I read there are major change between dx 9 and dx 10 but all I found on google is unified shader. Can someone briefly explain to me if there are other differences.

First and foremost, DX10 is Vista only. That may limit your decision to program with it depending on your target audience. Beyond that, the differences get pretty technical but the basic idea is that DX10 is a complete re-write of DirectX to take advantage of newer hardware and driver models. This makes it very different to program in than DX9 or any of the previous versions. Some of the highlights are:

* No fixed-function rendering. You MUST use shaders in DX10 (not a bad thing, mind you)
* Addition of geometry shaders
* Shader uniforms built and passed as buffers. Lets you use them like textures or vertex buffers.
* Heavy emphasis on render-to-surface. Even your main window is basically a texture that you render to.

Overall the changes streamline the process greatly, though you will still see a lot of complaints about the API (Primarily because of it's ties to Vista). What it boils down to in the end is that you should use DX9 for older hardware or OSes and DX10 for newer hardware on Vista and up.

For more info, start here

// The user formerly known as Tojiro67445, formerly known as Toji [smile]
Directx 10 sounds interesting, I'm going for performance... Dx 11 is also getting me excited =D

Is it ok to jump straight to dx 10 or start learning with 9? ><

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement