3D Engine choice?

Started by
16 comments, last by Codeka 14 years, 9 months ago
What kind of game are you writing? That might dictate which engine you pick. I would question Panda3D's performance. I've seen nothing to convince me it's fast. I do love Python though.
Advertisement
My company does computer repairs,website development/design, application development and now I want us to venture into Game Development. We released two small titles using Panda3D, very simple, for preschool kids. But we want to start developing more complex/in-depth games.
We have a company which wants a small Role-playing game which will allow the Children of today to learn about wht our country was like before it was colonized.
Panda3D is a good engine, but the time we would spend learning&mastering using it would not be good. Ideally I'd like a solution which allows us to quickly get a game idea running, then extend it farther by either scripting or actual code. Visual3D looks like it might fulfill these requirements, but i dont want to spend 250$ just to find out it isn't what we need. :(

Thanks guys,
Keith
Have you already looked at Unity?
Doesn't they have some kind of demo or free limited edition?
Maybe there are some introduction vids, you can look at them. Then you have some insight in the engine. The same for examples, do they have example(s)(code)

And yes, in the beginning panda3d has is difficult to master, but once you know it, it runs fine.
"What? It disintegrated. By definition, it cannot be fixed." - Gru - Dispicable me

"Dude, the world is only limited by your imagination" - Me

I thought Visual3D.net was still in alpha/beta...

TGEA is a lot better now than it was when it first came out, but it has been superceded by Torque3D. Granted, there are still lots of people using it and plenty of people willing to help you when you get stuck, unlike TorqueX 3D.
Thanks guys,
Visual3D is still beta, but is apparently pretty stable. Haven't seen any serious issues on the forums.
Torque3D looks very good, but the price is extreme. ~$900 or $250 for an indie developer.
I can afford to pay that price, but i want to know which would be a better choice.
The 3D artist in my team mainly uses maya and 3dmax. So i need to take that into account.
Thanks.
Keith
I have cleaned this thread of some spammy drivel and the resulting responses, for anybody wondering why their post has magically vanished into the ether.
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
I have cleaned this thread of some spammy drivel and the resulting responses, for anybody wondering why their post has magically vanished into the ether.
Heh, I thought that post was funny :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement