What should I do?

Started by
3 comments, last by Konidias 14 years, 9 months ago
I am 21 years old, and essentially useless at programming at this point. However, I have certain things which Ive noticed will work wonders in the MMORPG genre as far as getting income is concerned. Most MMORPGS dont venture far past monthly payments to support themselves, which can be very limiting for smaller scale games. I have an idea which will support the ability for players to spend money on certain aspects of the game, although there will ultimately be no advantage given between players through paying. I should also mention that this gives short term benefits, and is not just purchasing meaningless stuff. It is hard to explain without describing the system. I am wondering what I should do with this idea considering I know nobody in the business and have no real qualifications as far as designing is concerned. Should I just forget about this or can I take it somewhere?
Advertisement
Apply for a business process patent in the US, wait for a big company to violate it and then sue them.

Alternatively you could just publish it (on the internet) or forget about it.
haha ;) Thats kind of what I was expecting to hear, thanks.
First go over to MMORPG.com and look through its massive catalog of games and see if your idea has truly already been implemented(chances are it has because there are lots of mmo's out there that don't use subscription plans they just don't get the mass press like a select few do.)

If it truly has not been implemented I would go the publishing route(even if it has been implemented site examples of games that is has been used in to draw awareness of the idea.)

The patent thing...I swear one day the Patent Office will experience spontaneous combustion when someone files a patent for breathing air, making all patents null and void.
-----------------------Or, as I put it, MMORPG's are currently about attaining two primary things: strength and a shovel. The rest is you just shoveling sh** endlessly trying to get stronger to shovel more sh** so you can look for the next new shovel to shovel more sh** with. Once you are done, you can stand on top of a large pile of sh**, raise your golden sh** shoveler up high into the air and boast how proud you are to be the best sh** shoveler of them all. -Griffin_Kemp
Seems like you're just describing a micro-transactions type system. This is done heavily in Korean MMOs already.

The system is pretty commonplace now. Give the game away for free (usually a free download), and then allow the players to buy special items and such from the shop for real money. One example is the game MapleStory, which relies heavily on players buying vanity items and temporary stat boosters/experience gain boosters.

So I guess you'll have to decide between posting the idea and letting people use it, which will at least give your idea a chance of coming to life. Either that, or you can just hold on to your idea and have nothing ever come of it. Up to you really.
[size="3"]Thrones Online - Tactical Turnbased RPG
Visit my website to check out the latest updates on my online game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement