Just started basic 3D programming.....what is a good first project?

Started by
2 comments, last by bluesy_92 14 years, 9 months ago
So, I just started 3d programming... I know most of the basics, drawing textures, z-values, camera positioning, etc. I can easily make a 3D environmet, such as a room, implement basic collision detection, and make a player walk around in it. I want to work on a full game. I would prefer something that is easy enough for someone starting in 3D, but still teaches me new skills. Some of my ideas were: -a sprite-based FPS (think Doom and Wolfenstein) -top down game (think GTA) -platformer (with jumping and different level platforms, it might not be good for a beginner, but, I may be willing to give may a shot) -other (any ideas?) Worth mentioning, I use Game Maker 7. It is simpler than other languages, but anyone from any programming language can help. I have different code, but I still have to handle the same challenges, camera, z-values, collision detection, etc, so it's not like something relatively easy in C++ would be relatively hard in GM7, or vice-versa, so anyone can submit ideas.
Advertisement
Well im not quite sure if its ideal for you but I started with pong using sprites then im going to build a 3d version of tetris.

When it comes to making my first properly unique game I am going to look into doing a simple top down view (albeit 3d) RTS it will force you to handle some confusing collisions, classes of buildings and units, motion detection visibility, firing on a simple enemy AI, working out turret directions for firing etc even creating a simple AI potentially and theres reams of space for enchancement, like trying to add in cloud effects and playing around with lighting, giving the level a heightmap!. The thing for me is that I am going via the C++ route with DX9 its going to be hellishly complicated to pull together :D but its garunteed to teach you afew things even if you dont end up with the worlds best RTS. An FPS gives you alot of immediate problems to deal with an RTS lets you take things in easier to swallow chunks in my mind anyway.

After that im gunna go for something even more arbitrary like pikmin then try my hand at an FPS! but what to create isn't my problem its taking the careful increments in my level of skill so that I dont overstep what im capable of doing and land in the deep end. Goodluck to you with whatever you make!
What new skills do you want to learn?

I'm okay with learning anything, really.

New skills are better than no skills, right?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement