End of probation

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 9 months ago
After 4 month of probation my employment was terminated. As reasons, I was told that I didn't really seamed to enjoy my time and that I didn't really got into the group. I kind of agree. I'm specialized in graphics programming and I didn't get a lot of those tasks. As the only foreigner I might became a bit alienated. This is my second job in the industry. I lost the first after 1 year when the studio went into administration. So, how will this affect my chances of finding a new job? Am I in big trouble? I got some savings and was thinking of spending a few month on creating demos and improve skills.
Advertisement
To potential employers it is going to seem like the problem was on your end, and if you are wanting to continue working in the games industry, taking a few months out of it to lock yourself away and work on personal projects is only going to make the image you have painted of yourself look even worse.

If I was you, I would try to bounce back immediately. Make it perfectly clear that although you prefer graphics programming, you would jump at the opportunity to be given new challenges and work alongside other talented developers. If this isn't the case then you might need to face up to the games industry maybe not being for you.

I wish you all the best in finding something you enjoy doing.

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
>> After 4 month of probation my employment was terminated.

That could mean many different things.

I STRONGLY suggest you figure out what there is about you that you need to change. There were things you could have done differently, including choosing to work in a completely different industry or field.

Spend some time (several days, but not more than a week) to figure out exactly what you want out of life, and figuring out how to get there. You might find some "people skills" that you lack, or you might realize you are not following your passions.

If you choose to continue to work in games, it should not hurt your future job applications too much. It is not uncommon to see some churning of jobs in a person's work history. It is quite common to have projects canceled and studios shrink or close. With the economic problems there have been many studios closed and many projects canceled. You are not the only one with unexpected job loss.
Hmm ok, that's some interesting inputs. If I want to give game development a second chance, how should I approach potential employers? I mean, how do I formulate a terminated probation on the cv?

[Edited by - 51mon on July 25, 2009 1:12:21 PM]
Quote:Original post by 51mon
how do I formulate a terminated probation on the cv?

You put down the month you started the job and the month you stopped working at the job.
When somebody asks you why you left, tell'em the truth but spin it the best way you can.
Maybe fess up and say what you learned. "I had not been applying myself energetically to my work, but I've learned my lesson."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement