10 years

Started by
6 comments, last by nilkn 14 years, 8 months ago
10 years ago I joined GameDev :) 10 years ago I was still in high school, learning C with classes, maybe dabbling with Python, and writing lots of graphics engines. To date I've completed only one game, and I got sick of playing it soon after completion. It's pretty obvious that I'm not a game developer, so it's a wonder that I've managed to stay on a game development site this long. Oh well, here's to another 10 years!

Advertisement
Happy 10th! And many more. :)
Holy crap you're an old fart!!! :P
Glad to see you still around :), I remember the good old days when it was just a small group here, things sure have changed..
"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
Congratulations on your anniversary.
Quote:Original post by mutex
so it's a wonder that I've managed to stay on a game development site this long.

My job and education have nothing to do with gamedev, but I stick around because of the knowledgeable people. I do a lot of HPC and the one thing GameDev and HPC have in common is an obsession with making something run as fast and efficiently as possible within the hardware constraints. Other than StackOverflow, I don't think I've found a community with this many intelligent people.

I'm coming up on 5 years this September...

Awesome! Congratulations! :D
I only very occasionally do any game development myself, but I still really enjoy keeping up on the industry, and I love many of the topics that come up in game development (math, physics, programming in general, and of course just games). I think for me and many people game development represented the initial exposure to all these fields, and then after a few years a lot of people branched out and started focusing on other areas but still maintained an interest in old-fashioned game development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement