New to Game Development/Programming

Started by
2 comments, last by Dbproguy 14 years, 6 months ago
Greetings, In the past I have played a lot of games and with a few friends we would like to try to get a game working. Since none of us have much experience with programming, I was wondering what a good way to take this on would be. To start with I bought the book "Beginning C ++ Through Game Programming, 2nd Ed", because I was hoping to get the fundamentals of C++ with it. Unfortunately, I believe it takes more then this book to manage what is mentioned under "How Do I Make Games?: A Path to Game Development". So I was wondering what the next logical step would be. I assume this is mentioned elsewhere, but I got overwhelmed with the info and couldn't figure out where to go next without overviewing important steps in the learningproces. Best regards, Ptera.
Advertisement
Moving to For Beginners.
Recommended reading: "View Forum FAQ" above.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

My advice to you; Start off simple. Very simple. Work your way up, it will be more fun, and less frustrating, that way.

Often when people start, they start with a project that's too big(I know I did). Whatever your "dream" project is, put it on hold for now, wait until you are fully capable of doing it justice, don't rush it!

Definitely start by getting the fundamentals of programming down first (which it sounds like you're doing). Start by making text-based games(One of my first games was a clone of "snake" using DOS single-character output instead of real graphics). After you feel like you get it, make a simple, but complete game.
Make Tetris, or Pong or Asteroids or something and finish it all the way. You'll probably mess up on a few things, and after you're done you'll think of a bunch of things you could have done better, but that's what you want to do. You'll learn a lot, and you won't get overwhelmed or have to re-write a lot of code to finish your project.
It's really not best to start off making games right when you start learning how to program. In fact that is almost virtually impossible, especially with C++, unless you have some nice easy-to-use library that doesn't require some of the more advanced C++ features.

If you are looking for some nice books, Accelerated C++ and C++ Primer are it! C++ Primer is a little bit more in depth on some things so it would probably suit you better unless you are one to read through text books without ever dozing off!

Before you start going any further, I think some C++ essentials are points and inheritance. Without them, C++ would be... well it wouldn't be C++. When you do get to the point where you know enough C++ and think you might want to try your hand at game dev, it might be nice to look into something like SDL or Allegro, and start off with some 2D games.

Check out lazyfoo.net as well!
--Dbproguy - My Blog - Tips, Opinions and Reviews about C++, Video Games, and Life

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement