What to include in code sample ?

Started by
2 comments, last by wil_ 14 years, 6 months ago
Hi all, I am looking for a new position as a game programmer and preparing game code samples to show what I can do (recently I was programming in an other industry). It surely depends on the position, but if anybody has a positive experience would they please give some advice on the kind of program that should be sent ? I'm thinking about sending the code of a small 3d puzzle I created, but I'm wondering how much I should send, what else should I include. Are the latest graphic techniques a must ? Would non-playable demos be enough? etc Any comment welcome ! [Edited by - wilfrid on October 26, 2009 3:15:15 AM]
Advertisement
That's a good question. I've sat in many lectures and edited/read articles on portfolios and there's never much mention in regards to code besides demos. I think it's mostly because pretty much all studios have programmer tests that do the job of showing them how well you code, so it's not something many people bother to look at upon initial submission. Just send in the compiled demos

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Sample code should ideally show an elegant (well-thought-out and well-executed) solution to a problem. It should not be wasteful (it should use fewer lines of code and occupy fewer bytes of RAM) and it should be well-commented so any casual reader can understand how it works. The labels or routine names (if any) should be unique, logical, and (if possible) intuitive.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Ok so I should show a few elegant code samples and an astonishing demo !
Thank for your replies (and for the link to sloperama, there are good advices).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement