C++ vs AS3: speed wise

Started by
13 comments, last by shultays 14 years, 5 months ago
That "todays opinion" about the actual HWs sucks in MY opinion, "thats not important, todays HW are awsome"...Thats doing a new generation of worse programmers eva..buts thats MY opinion...

Those old games like half life and age of empires, jesus, they run without problems on a P4 1.6Ghz with 256MB...But when you try to play an indie game on a machine like that, woahhhh, a game 500 times simpler runs all laged at 5-10fps..but who cares, nobody have a machine like that right?

I dont know about you, but that philosophy make me sick, Im not expert neither have experience enough to say those things, maybe Im exaggerating, but its like sayng "why you are doing it in c++, its all donne to you in java", but just remember that when ppl nows something is ASM implemented EVERYONE fills perfectly safe and better about using it...

my english is terrible, sorry about that..
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Icebone1000
Those old games like half life and age of empires, jesus, they run without problems on a P4 1.6Ghz with 256MB...But when you try to play an indie game on a machine like that, woahhhh, a game 500 times simpler runs all laged at 5-10fps..but who cares, nobody have a machine like that right?

I have to mention that those programmers got paid for good work, while indie programmers do it just for fun. There is no point in optimizing every single frackin' (excuse my BS slang) algorithm if the average user has enough resources for the bad version anyway. Not everyone really cares about implementing the "best" (whatever it may be) way to solve a problem, because they care about actually making a game and not getting caught in details. Do you see any player being excited that game xyz did use some awesome way to implement collision detection? Or that they squeezed out some cpu-cycles by hand-writing matrix multiplications using SIMD instructions? I really doubt it.

Even professionals don't care about speed/resources ALL the time. They care when it's necessary for the product to be sold (or to run at all :P), but not in general.
even if both c++ and actionscrip uses cpu at the same efficency (which is false) since as3 does not use gpu (as far as I know) capabilities of it would be still poor.
taytay
yes, because C++ totally uses the GPU... wait, wut?
Quote:Original post by phantom
yes, because C++ totally uses the GPU... wait, wut?

no it can't but you can use a graphic library with c++. with actionscript you don't have much choice

taytay

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement