OpenGL on Linux with eclipse

Started by
1 comment, last by danasatriya 14 years, 5 months ago
Hi everyone, I have project in school which is 3D Game. I must do it on Java with eclipse under Linux with OpenGL. So far so good, I've made some games with OpenGL, but never with Java and never under Linux. So my question is how to install OpenGL on eclipse under Linux. Thank you in advance.
Advertisement
The Eclipse site will let you download the IDE and associated plugins for Java development.

You'll also need the JDK. There is an open source version of that called OpenJDK that will probably also work.

For simple OpenGL bindings you'll want JOGL, but if you can use an actual game engine you should check out jMonkeyEngine.

Whatever Linux distribution you use should have basic software 3D support, but getting hardware-accelerated 3D support is a tricky issue. More than likely you'll just want to install the proprietary Nvidia or ATI graphics drivers. If you're going to be using Ubuntu or any related distributions this is relatively easy (System->Administration->Hardware Drivers or KMenu->System->Hardware Drivers Manager).

EDIT: I should've mentioned first that Ubuntu and similar distros will have all or most of this stuff in their repositories. Go to Applications->Add/Remove Programs or System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager and search.
use jogl for java. you can use eclipse, it should also be using eclipse-cdt. you can find both on the package manager of ubuntu, or download the source file. freeglut3 and freeglut3-dev afterwards.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement